Please don’t run away screaming just because there’s no meat. This vegan chickpea curry is some gooood eatin’.
Plus, just look at all the pretty colors!
This curry couldn’t be any easier to make. Plus, with only 6 ingredients to scrounge up, you really don’t have any excuse not to make it.
This recipe calls for:
- Coconut Oil
- Red Curry Paste
- Coconut Milk
- Red Bell Pepper
See? It’s easy.
Aside from the potato and red pepper, you can keep everything on hand in your pantry or freezer. I make my own red curry paste, but the kind in a jar or tub works just as well. This is the brand I get when I buy pre-made curry paste.
Now, there are two other *optional* ingredients: salt and brown sugar. I love curry, so the rich flavors from the paste are enough for me. Butttt I know that everyone’s palates are a bit different, so if the curry tastes a little dull, sprinkle in some salt (start with 1/4 teaspoon) or brown sugar (1 Tablespoon should do it).
I made this vegan chickpea curry as a super easy 30-minute meal for Meatless Monday. The trick is to dice your potatoes up pretty small so they cook quickly and almost melt in your mouth. There’s not much worse than an under-cooked potato, am I right?
This is great served over rice, but if the idea of potatoes AND rice at the same meal freaks you out, you can grab some flat bread to go along with it.
Here’s Your Recipe!
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 Tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups finely diced yukon gold potatoes
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- Heat the coconut oil in wok or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the curry paste and mash it into the oil with a wooden spoon. Let the paste fry in the oil for 30 seconds.
- Add the coconut milk and 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth. Add the diced potatoes and allow the liquid to come to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer over medium-low for ten minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and red peppers. Cover and let cook for another ten minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Serve with rice or flatbread.
*Optional - Salt and Brown Sugar to taste