I don’t think my obsession with curry will ever come to an end. There are just so many different types of curry and ways to use it! These Curried Chicken and Pineapple Skewers (with cucumber-yogurt sauce) use regular old curry powder, but pack a big punch when it comes to flavor.
This super easy recipe is perfect for weeknight meals when you don’t have a lot of time. The husband went back for seconds, and then promptly claimed the leftovers as his “future snack.” What a jerk, am I right? 😉
Throwing this together is a total cinch. Just toss some chunks of chicken breast in some coconut oil, curry powder, ground cayenne, salt, and pepper. Let it sit while you cut up some pineapple and soak your wooden skewers (we don’t wan’t burning, now do we?), then thread the meat and fruit onto the skewers in an alternating pattern. Grill the skewers over medium-high heat until the chicken is cooked through. Done!
You can do this on the BBQ, or be lazy like me and use your handy grill pan. I seriously love that thing, I don’t know what I would do without it!
Do you avoid using your BBQ when it gets too hot outside? I feel like I wait all year for the weather to be hot enough to grill, then once the weather is nice I complain about it being too hot and come inside to cook anyway. Realistically, I use my grill for probably three weeks in June and three weeks in late September. What a waste!
Oh, I almost forgot to tell you about the cucumber-yogurt sauce! It’s super tasty and really easy. It’s just some plain yogurt (not the Greek kind!) mixed with diced cucumber, scallions, cilantro, cumin, and salt. It really brings some nice freshness to the skewers and cools down some of the kick from the cayenne.
You definitely need to go make this. Like, right now.
Here’s the Recipe!
For the Skewers
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, in chunks
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the Yogurt Sauce
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup diced peeled and seeded cucumber
- 1/8 cup sliced scallion (white and light green parts only)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- If using wood skewers, place in a water bath to soak for 30 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Toss with coconut oil, curry powder, cayenne, and salt. Let sit 30 minutes to marinate.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cucumber yogurt dipping sauce by combining the the yogurt, cumin, salt, pepper, cucumber, scallion, and cilantro in a large bowl. Stir well, then cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Prepare a grill over medium-high heat. Thread the marinated chicken and pineapple onto skewers in an alternating pattern. Cook the skewers on the grill until chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with cucumber yogurt dipping sauce.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 218 Total Fat 8g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 66mg Sodium 163mg Carbohydrates 11g Fiber 2g Sugar 8g Protein 26g