This creamy, spiced Chicken Korma recipe is the stuff dreams are made of. Loosen up those pants and make this delectable Indian dish at home!
In the interest of full disclosure, I feel that I must confess to you that this is NOT a “light” or healthy recipe.
But it is worth it.
Seriously, you guys. Trust me on this one.
Chicken Korma Curry is one of those magical dishes that seems to fill up 95% of my plate whenever I visit an Indian food buffet.
It is rich, creamy, full of spices and flavor, and just begs to be soaked up by a piece of fresh naan.
If you’ve never tried your hand at making Indian food at home, this should definitely be your starter recipe.
It’s much easier than you’d think, as long as you have a few basic Indian spices in your pantry.
The korma chicken does like to marinate for a while, so get it set in the morning before heading to work.
I know that the ingredient list looks a bit long but DON’T FREAK OUT.
Most of it is spices, and if you are missing any of them I’d highly suggest investing a few dollars into a bottle so you can cook more international meals at home!
Here’s what you will need:
- Garam Masala
- Curry Powder
- Ground Turmeric Root
- Ground Coriander
- Quality Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Cumin Seed
- Ground Cardamom
- Freshly Ground Nutmeg
A few readers have commented that the korma came out bitter. I’ve made this lots of times with no issues, and so have the majority of readers. I suspect that any problems were because the spices used were either bitter to begin with, or over-toasted.
I can’t emphasize enough the importance of using quality spices! I love Simply Organic / Frontier Co-Op brand, which you can find in the organic foods section of most stores or order from Amazon.
Nothing will open up your kitchen to more possibilities than a well-stocked spice cabinet!
Save this to Pinterest:
Ready to Cook?
Here’s the Chicken Korma Recipe!
For the Chicken Marinade
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Sauce
- 2 white onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large tomatoes, diced small
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root
- 1/2 cup ground raw almonds
- 1 cup unsweetened canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 a small red chili, de-seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup of chopped chives
- Drizzle the chicken with the oil and sprinkle on the garam masala, curry powder, salt and pepper. Massage into the meat and cover, leaving to marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Instead of a bowl, use a 1 gallon zip lock bag to marinate the chicken for a more even distribution of the marinade and easier clean up.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Grill the chicken for 5-6 minutes per side, until cooked to an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, make the korma sauce: place the onions, garlic, and 1 cup of water in the bowl of a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Measure out the spices (curry powder through nutmeg) into a small bowl.
- In a large saucepan heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the pureed onion mixture and cook for a 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until it begins to darken in color.
- Add the tomatoes, ginger, ground almonds, coconut milk, yogurt, red chili, pre-measured spices, and brown sugar. Stir well.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer 30 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to the pan; simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with steamed basmati rice and/or naan.
- Optionally garnish with chopped chives.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 736Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 204mgSodium 906mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 5gSugar 17gProtein 80g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
Old photo (just for fun):