A simple, but delicious Slow Cooker Chicken Curry recipe made with red bell peppers, carrots, potatoes and a coconut curry sauce. Serve over jasmine or basmati rice with fresh cilantro.
There’s not much in this world that I love more than curry. Except for maybe chicken. Or coconut milk. Or slow cooker meals.
You see where this is going, right?
That’s right, super amazing delicious Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry. I bet you didn’t know food this good could come out of a slow cooker.
This dish features beautiful red bell peppers, carrots, and potatoes to add a bit of bulk. Serve over rice for some sweet starch-on-starch action.
I’ve been working with Frontier Natural to develop some delicious curry recipes, so you can expect to see more of these delicious recipes in the very near future.
This recipe really couldn’t be much easier. It starts with a basic red curry sauce which is poured into your slow cooker, followed by some browned chicken, spices, and broth.
Thirty minutes before it is done, add in the vegetables then put a pot of rice on to cook. Dinner is served!
There’s a great recipe for homemade basic red curry sauce on the site, but if you want to save some time you could use red curry paste and 2 cups of coconut milk as a substitute.
Start with just a tablespoon of red curry paste, then taste it towards the end of the cook time. You can always add more by mixing another tablespoon in a small cup filled with some of the hot broth from the slow cooker, then mixing it all into the curry. You can also make your own red curry paste and store it in the freezer for just these kind of emergencies.
Ready to get cookin’?
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cubed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced white potato
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed if canned
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Curry Powder
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic Cayenne Pepper
- 2 packed cups kale, chopped
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken in pan and cook about 5 minutes, just until the outside begins to brown. Add bell pepper and onion and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Into slow cooker, place chicken and vegetables, followed by remaining ingredients, except kale.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on high for about 5 hours, until potatoes and chicken are tender.
- Add kale to hot curry, then serve over rice and top with fresh cilantro.
For a dairy-free recipe, substitute olive oil or ghee for the butter.
If you want a substitute to kale, use spinach or Swiss chard.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Simply Organic Cayenne Pepper Certified Organic, 2.89-Ounce Container
Simply Organic Pepper, Black Medium Grind Certified Organic, 2.31 Ounce Container
Simply Organic Garlic Powder | Certified Organic | Kosher Certified | 3.64-Ounce Glass Bottle
Simply Organic Ginger Root Ground Certified Organic, 1.64-Ounce Container
Simply Organic Curry Powder - 3 OZ
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 379Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 115mgSodium 923mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 5gSugar 5gProtein 39g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.