My favorite tool for easy breakfasts? A trusty muffin pan! Drench these easy French Toast Cups with sticky bourbon brown sugar sauce for a breakfast (or dessert!) fit for a king.
We could all use a few easy and delicious breakfast recipes this time of year! During the holidays, it seems like if you’re not hosting friends or family for breakfast, then you’re scarfing down a quick breakfast and heading out the door to meet them somewhere.
These French Toast Cups are perfect for those busy mornings, and the sticky bourbon brown sugar sauce makes them special enough for company!
When King’s Hawaiian asked me if I’d like to share a recipe featuring their rolls, I seized the opportunity. I had just gone tree-hunting with my family, and we scarfed down a few bags of their honey-wheat rolls at our tailgate picnic.
Knowing how much my family loves their rolls, I was happy to have an excuse to feature them in a recipe!
I always feel like breakfasts are the most difficult meal to serve to company, because you don’t have all day to cook and most breakfast recipes are hard to time. Has anyone ever had their eggs, bacon, and pancakes finish cooking at the same time!?
If you have, then you need to come over to my house and teach me your ways. I’d make a terrible short order cook!
I’m a little obsessed with cooking things in muffin tins because everything ends up looking adorable. While these French Toast Cups are baking, take a few minutes to put together a simple sauce made from bourbon, brown sugar, butter, and cream. If you don’t want to use bourbon, you could substitute pure vanilla extract instead!
I love King’s Hawaiian Honey Wheat Rolls for these cups because they have the perfect amount of sweetness, but also maintain a nice texture even after soaking up the french toast batter. These French Toast Cups come out with a lightly crisped crust and a warm, soft interior. You’ll want at least three or seven cups to yourself.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 package King's Hawaiian Honey Wheat 12-Pack Dinner Rolls
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat an oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Tear the rolls into small pieces and place in a large bowl. Crack the eggs into a small bowl and beat with a whisk until the yolks and whites are combined. Whisk in the milk and half-and-half, then pour over the roll pieces. Toss the roll pieces well to ensure they are evenly coated. Let stand five minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into greased muffin pan cups and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown and crisped.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar, heavy cream, bourbon, vanilla and salt. Let it come to a boil over medium heat. Allow the mixture to cook, stirring very frequently, until thick (3-5 minutes). Cool slightly.
- Serve the French Toast Cups drizzled with Sticky Bourbon Brown Sugar Sauce.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 249 Total Fat 9g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 58mg Sodium 41mg Carbohydrates 36g Fiber 5g Sugar 10g Protein 8g
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of TASTE OF HOME. The opinions and text are all mine.
You'll Also Love:
Last Updated on