Grilled Panzanella is the perfect summer salad – blueberries, basil, and ripe peaches make this a delectable treat!
There’s a little orchard on my property which grows apples, cherries, and (sometimes) plums. Every single cherry is eaten by birds before they even ripen, the apples are either sour or eaten by deer, and the plum tree is an enigma in which some years it produces the most succulent, sweet golden plums and other years it does nothing at all.
Putting aside my dire need for assistance in the art of fruit tree husbandry, someday I intend to also grow peaches. I absolutely adore peaches, especially when they are so ripe they almost smell like fruit brandy.
I wanted to make a dish bursting with summer flavors, and I couldn’t think of much that elicited an inclination to sip tea on the patio as do ripe peaches, blueberries, and basil.
To bring a bit of robust depth to the salad, I decided to turn it into a grilled panzanella. I love bread salads, and I especially love the caramelized and crunchy attributes that come from some well-placed grill marks.
You might have noticed that I have a bit of a thing for salad, with something like 35 salad recipes scattered around the blog. I expect that this has something to do with my love of food in bowls (and no less to do with my love of eating in front of the TV).
Either way, we could all use a bit more salad in our lives– especially of the grilled panzanella variety!
Here’s the Grilled Panzanella Salad Recipe!
- 2 medium peaches, pitted and sliced
- 2 teaspoons + 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 6 inches of baguette
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup ripe blueberries
- 4 ounces cubed fresh mozzarella
- 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- In a large serving bowl, whisk together 2 teaspoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, and 1 teaspoon honey. Add the peaches and toss well to coat.
- Slice the baguette horizontally down the middle (keeping the blade of the knife parallel to the cutting board), then brush each cut side with the melted butter.
- Heat a grill pan over medium; place the bread, buttered side down, onto the preheated grill pan and allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes until nicely toasted. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the marinated peaches onto the same grill pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side until lightly grilled. While the peaches are grilling, add another tablespoon of olive oil, teaspoon of balsamic vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper into the marinating bowl. Whisk well.
- Once the peaches are grilled, transfer them back into the large serving bowl. Add the bread pieces, blueberries, mozzarella, shallot, and basil to the bowl. Toss well and serve at once.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 873 Total Fat 33g Saturated Fat 15g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 15g Cholesterol 67mg Sodium 1625mg Carbohydrates 118g Fiber 8g Sugar 33g Protein 30g
You'll Also Love:
Last Updated on