An easy and delicious Indian Pepper Chicken Masala recipe with chicken breasts, tomatoes, onion, fragrant spices and robust peppercorns.
I think I have an Indian food addiction. It’s kind of a problem. Lucky for you, my obsessive and addiction-prone personality means more awesome recipes to share with you! Today, I’m sharing my recipe for Indian Pepper Chicken Masala.
I’ve always dreamed of going to India, but somehow I can never bring myself to book the tickets. I think I’m just a little bit afraid. It’s sometimes hard for me to travel because I stick out like a sore thumb everywhere except, maybe, Sweden. The husband has the exact opposite look to him; everywhere we travel we are asked if he is a local! He tells me his high school friends used to call him “chameleon.”
Anyway, I don’t like being stared at and targeted as the world’s most obvious tourist, but, alas, that appears to be my fate. India will remain on the bucket list until I talk myself into actually going. If you’ve ever been there, I’d love for you to leave me a comment about your experiences (especially if you’re a fellow female!).
Okay, back to the recipe: The husband and I love us some black pepper, so I left whole black peppercorns in this recipe to add a bit of zing. If you’re a bit more sensitive to the taste of black pepper, grind up the peppercorns using a mortar and pestle (or a mini food processor like the one I use).
This recipe is super easy to put together and has a really quick marinate time. If you’re in a serious hurry, you could skip the marinate time, or you could plan ahead by putting the marinade on the chicken in the morning and pulling it out ready to go after work (or whatever it is you do during the day).
Side note: I’m super, super obsessed with my pretty little curry dish with handles I got at World Market. That place is pretty much the best store EVER. I got the pretty fork and spoon there, too!
This is one of those fabulous dishes that tastes great the first night, but tastes even better as leftovers. The longer the flavors mingle together, the more magical it becomes.
Mmmm, sweet, sweet, magical Indian Pepper Chicken Masala.
Ready to make yourself a plate?
Indian Pepper Chicken Masala Recipe
- 1 cup roughly chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. roughly chopped ginger root
- 6 cloves peeled garlic
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. whole black peppercorns
- 2 lbs. boneless - skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp. ghee or vegetable oil - divided
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 Tbsp. black peppercorns - either whole or crushed
- 2 roma tomatoes - pureed in a blender or food processor
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro leaves for garnish and cooked basmati rice for serving - optional
- Combine the onion, ginger, garlic, coriander, turmeric, and one tablespoon of whole black peppercorns in the bowl of a food processor. Grind until it forms a paste, then toss with chicken pieces and refrigerate for one hour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee or oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside.
- Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, then add the remaining tablespoon of oil or ghee. Add the cinnamon stick and whole cloves to the oil and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes to infuse the oil. Remove and discard cinnamon stick and cloves.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of peppercorns (either whole or crushed, according to your taste) and the pureed tomatoes to the pan. Cook three minutes, stirring, then return cooked chicken to the pan. Toss the chicken in the sauce and cook until heated through, about three minutes. Taste and add salt as needed. Serve with basmati rice and garnish with cilantro leaves.