Don’t freak out, but summer is almost over. Autumn, for me, functions as a stepping stone into the Winter months where I allow myself to eat whatever I want and get kinda pudgy.
No joke, over the past few years my “fitness routine” has consisted of working out and (sort of) eating right between January and June, then doing whatever the heck I want for the last six months of the year. I’m sure you can see how this just does wonders for my body, both inside and out.
This year, I decided to do things a little differently. It’s now September, and I’m still going strong with my intentions to exercise regularly and eat right as much as possible.
As a food blogger, a lot of people ask me how I keep myself in shape while spending so much time surrounded by food. I know you don’t want to hear this, but the answer is diet and exercise.
Man, that sounds like hard work, doesn’t it?
Well, that’s because it is. Fortunately, there are ways to ease into a lifestyle change rather than making a completely drastic overhaul overnight. In my opinion, it’s better to do just do a few things right than to do nothing right! You don’t have to be perfect, but every small step you take towards wellness improves the health of your body.
Today, I’m sharing my Top 5 Wellness Tips to help inspire you to make a small change!
1. Adjust your mindset. Until you can adopt a mindset of taking care of your body simply to take care of your body (and not just to look good in a bathing suit, look better than your ex, or keep your spouse happy), you’ll never be in it for the long haul.
Being healthy and fit is about more than bragging rights. It’s about respecting yourself, and giving yourself the power and energy to do the things you enjoy in life without being too tired, too lazy, or too embarrassed.
2. Plan ahead. Hunger is the enemy. I eat between six and eight times per day, which probably sounds crazy, but I don’t ever like to feel hungry. I can hardly even remember what that awful pain in my stomach feels like!
By the time you are hungry, are you really going to take the time to prepare a nutritious meal, or would you be more likely to hit up a drive through or grab a candy bar? Plan to succeed, and you will.
This is my haphazard refrigerator. I keep track of everything I plan to eat, and then make sure I eat it. I know this is a pretty hardcore example, but accountability is everything!
3. Eat your fruits and vegetables. I know, I know. Another boring piece of advice. But seriously you guys, you should see how much produce I go through in a week. Here’s a picture:
Ignore the general messiness of my house, please. This was 7 days work of produce for me. Not for the husband, just for ME. Okay, some of those bananas were for him. But I ate everything else.
Your body will feel SO different once you start making fruits and vegetables the largest part of your diet. I have so much more energy, my hair/skin/nails look way better, and I never get stomachaches and headaches anymore. Challenge yourself to see just how much fresh produce you can eat in one week!
4. Smoothies. I love to blend my produce into submission, and you should, too. Here’s the basic recipe for the smoothie I make myself every. single. day.
- 1 small banana (90 grams)
- 3/4 cup frozen mango chunks (90 grams)
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup Silk Soymilk (125 ML)
Okay, now put that stuff in a blender, blend it, then drink it. Easy, right? Don’t be put off by the egg white, I *promise* you won’t even notice it’s there but it’s really good for you. I love using soymilk in my smoothies – you can find more information about Silk Soymilk by clicking here!
5. Jump Rope. Whaaa???
This little guy is my best friend. And some mornings, my worst enemy. But for real, it’s the best cardio workout I’ve ever done because I actually enjoy it and it’s over rather quickly.
When I started “skipping,” I could hardly get through 4 sets of 50 jumps, and it took me forever. This morning, I skipped for 15 minutes (about 1400 jumps), which was plenty to get my heart rate up and burn some calories.
Plus, I can take my rope anywhere! You guys know I love to travel, and it is beyond easy to pack my rope and find somewhere to skip even when I’m on the road.
Alright, friends, there you have it! My Top 5 Wellness Tips to help you make some simple yet effective changes.
Now, I’d love to hear from all of YOU about your favorite ways to stay well. What works best for you?
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.