These easy Barbacoa Beef Bowls are a perfect way to use up leftovers and skip the line at Chipotle!
One thing you should know about me is that when I saw I’m going to do something, I do it.
Most of the time.
For example, when I posted my recipe for Crockpot Barbacoa Beef, I said that I would share my recipe for Barbacoa Beef Bowls with you in just a few days.
Well, here we are, a few days later, and here is my recipe for kick-butt Barbacoa Beef Bowls! (<–Yes, I really did just use the phrase kick-butt as an adjective, but I’m hesitant to use actual swear words on the interwebs).
I know that you are just dying to hear more about things that I actually *did* after I said I was going to do them. I like lists, and I’m the type of person who loves crossing things off lists, so I’ll share some examples with you. That way, no one can ever say I didn’t DO anything with my life.
Okay, go-go gadget LIST:
- I started a food blog and made it my career. Yep, take THAT everyone who didn’t think I was serious.
- I got my MBA while working full time, planning our wedding, and buying a house.
- I finished the Kenzai Body program (and it was awesome).
- I went to Thailand. Then Brazil. Then Mexico, Greece, and Turkey. And I convinced the husband to tag along on EVERY SINGLE TRIP.
- I grew my hair out really long. Yeah, this isn’t that big of a deal, but chicks say they are going to do this ALL the time and never really do. But I did, and I have held out from cutting it off for almost 5 years now. This feels like an accomplishment.
Alright, once I start talking about my hair as an accomplishment, I think that means I ran out of things to put on that list.
Now. Because it is only fair, here’s a list of things I said I was going to do, but never did:
- Get a doctorate degree (Uh, yeah, because I’m REALLY using the other two degrees I already have.)
- Live abroad (I’m still holding out hope that this actually might happen.)
- Hang glide while we were in Rio (I totally chickened out, you guys!)
- Finish painting the stairs in our house (Um, they may or may not be still unfinished from when I started that project 2 years ago.)
Alright, this conversation got really derailed. What were we even talking about? Oh yeah, food.
Aren’t these Barbacoa Beef Bowls just a thing of beauty? I don’t know why, but I love when my food is like a rainbow of colors and awesomeness. Wow, that might be the best simile I’ve ever written.
I COULD have just haphazardly tossed all of these ingredients together into a bowl and went to town on it, but it is much more fun to carefully arrange each element in a perfect circle of joy and contentment.
Then you get to use your fork to destroy all of the perfection, mash it all up together, and shovel it into your mouth.
Oh, HECK yes.
Alright, I think I’ve tortured you enough today with weird ramblings and literary elements, so let’s move on to the good stuff, yes?
Here’s Your Recipe!
The Wanderlust Kitchen
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 4 cups cooked white rice, warmed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups Barbacoa Beef , warmed
- 2 cups halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 large avocado, pitted and diced
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- In a large bowl, toss together the warm rice and fresh lime juice. Divide evenly among four serving bowls.
- Into each bowl, place 1/2 cup beef, 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1/4 of the beans, 1/4 cup corn, 1/8 cup green onion, and 1/4 of the avocado.
- Garnish each bowl with a tablespoon of chopped cilantro leaves.