A quick and easy refrigerator pickle recipe featuring curried carrots and cauliflower!
Wait, didn’t I just share something with curry and carrots a few days ago? Well, yes. Yes I did.
Turns out, I have a thing for curried carrots.
And while the carrots are delicious in this recipe, the real hero here is the cauliflower.
Guys. Cauliflower pickles. Where have they been all my life?
Let me tell you how I was introduced to these tasty little treats.
I’ve mentioned it in a few other of my Indian recipes, but there’s this buffet restaurant here in Portland called Namaste and it’s my downfall. The food is seriously tasty and SO comforting.
I’m not great with pacing myself at buffets, and I also usually skip the whole “salad” part. It’s a real problem.
So, at the Indian food buffet, there’s the part of the buffet that has all the delicious curries, dals, and kormas, and then there’s the part that has the salad mix, yogurt dressing, and random cold veggies.
Obviously, I’ve been skipping over that part of the buffet for years. Recently, I noticed that there were some bright yellow cauliflower pieces at the buffet and decided to give them a try. HOLY WOW.
I whipped out my copy of the book and turned to page 57: Curried Pickled Cauliflower.
I used her recipe as a jumping off point, and adapted it to suit my needs.
Namely, that I wanted to make refrigerator pickles, I wanted to add some carrot, and I definitely didn’t need 5 whole pints of the pickles.
Except, oops, I TOTALLY DO NEED 5 WHOLE PINTS.
These pickles are perfect for snacking and are completely addicting. I challenge you to keep a jar in the fridge for longer than two days.
In Rebecca’s book, she shares a recipe for using the pickles in her “Taste of India Basmati Rice Bowls”, which feature basmati rice (obviously), spinach, a quick cucumber-yogurt raita, chickpea tikka masala, pickled red onions, and plenty of curried cauliflower pickles.
I’d stick around to write more about these pickles, but I need to excuse myself so I can go make those rice bowls.
Here’s Your Recipe!
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3 medium carrots, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- Bring the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, curry powder, salt, and peppercorns to a boil in a large stockpot.
- Add the cauliflower and carrots and allow the liquid to return to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the vegetables into three pint-sized canning jars. Using a wide funnel, ladle the hot brine over the top of the vegetables, leaving about 1/4-inch of head space. Place the lids on top of the jars and fasten the rings to finger-tightness. Refrigerator for three days before using; use within three weeks.
Amount Per ServingCalories 37 Carbohydrates 9g Protein 1g