This easy Greek Chicken Pasta recipe is on the table in 20 minutes and with so much flavor, it is sure to please the whole family.
Remember how I said I was super sick of Greek food? Yeah, well, I’m over that.
I have improved the flavor of a simple pasta and chicken dish.
You see pasta and chicken is pretty standard fare. Most people would add a creamy white sauce and call it a day. However, I always need to have 37 different flavors per dish in order to satisfy my highly demanding palate.
This is why you see olives + tomatoes + onions + garlic + lemon zest + oregano + spices. Lots of yummy spices.
Right, back to the Greek Pasta with Chicken.
Do you see all that brown stuff stuck to the bottom of my pot? It’s called “fond.” I live for it.
Basically, it’s all the amazing caramelized loveliness that comes from the introduction of food to high heat. It’s the key to adding lots of flavor to your meals. Never let it burn and never waste it.
I like to brown my meat and veggies in an enameled cast iron Dutch oven (I love this reasonably priced one from Lodge Logic). If you try to do this with non-stick pans it just won’t work. Let the meat cook in just a *little* bit of oil until the pieces come un-stuck from the bottom of the pan.
I know it’s kind of scary when they start sticking to the bottom, but just trust me, it’s supposed to happen that way. Once it’s un-stuck, flip it over and let the other side get some color on it.
Then just dump a bunch of other stuff in…
…and gobble it all up.
Easy peasey… lemon…squeezy. Yep, not going to erase that. I said it, so you have to read it.
Here’s the Recipe!
Greek Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound boneless - skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb pasta - your choice
- 1/2 of a small red onion - vertically sliced
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 cups halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup halved and pitted kalamata olives
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano - optional
- Place chicken pieces in a large bowl. Combine salt, pepper, oregano, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Sprinkle seasoning over chicken, turning the pieces as needed to evenly distribute the spices.
- Boil water. Cook pasta according to package directions until barely al dente. Do not overcook! Drain, reserving one cup of pasta water.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pan over medium heat. Once the oil is very hot, add the chicken pieces in a single layer and cook undisturbed until golden brown. Turn, and repeat on other side of chicken until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the sliced onions and garlic to the pan and cook two minutes, adding additional oil or a splash of pasta water as needed to prevent burning. Add tomatoes and olives and cook for two minutes.
- Transfer the browned chicken and drained pasta to the pot. Turn off the heat, then add the fresh oregano and lemon zest. Toss well; serve hot.
Don’t forget to check our all-time reader’s favorite: