Two of my amazing girlfriends from my childhood came over for dinner (read: wine) the other night so I wanted to throw together a simple and tasty dinner that I could make while chatting (read: drinking) with them in the kitchen.
I decided on a Mediterranean menu, so I made a tray of antipasto for us to snack on before dinner, then put together this Baked Greek Chicken!
It is so incredibly easy to make – just toss everything into an ovenproof dish and throw it in the oven.
Ali over at Gimme Some Oven gave me the idea to spread some hummus over the chicken before cooking it, which is pretty much a life-changing idea. The hummus worked as an insulator to keep the chicken moist and tender, while the top part of the hummus gets light and crispy. Crispy = yummy.
This is so wonderful on a bed of spinach, or topped on warm pita bread!
Us gals gobbled this down, then devoured 6 Lemon-Rosemary Panna Cottas between the three of us.
We didn’t have much wine leftover, either!
Here’s the Recipe!
- 2 lemons
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Red onion, cut into thick slices
- 1/3 c. pitted kalamata olives
- 2 to 3 large chicken breasts
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tsp. Greek seasoning (or 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp. salt)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 c. hummus
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Crumbled Feta for topping
- Spinach and pita bread for serving
- Preheat oven to 450
- Zest one lemon. Place zest in a large bowl and add 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Add in the red onion slices and kalamata olives and toss to coat. Place onions and olives in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Cut the chicken breasts into tenders (slice them parallel to your work service, then cut each half into 3 pieces. Season the tenders with salt, pepper,and Greek seasoning (if using) then place them on top of the bed of onions and olives. Tuck the peeled garlic cloves under the chicken to keep them from burning.
- Spread the hummus evenly over the top of the chicken breasts. Squeeze the juice out of the zested lemon over the top of the chicken and onions. Sprinkle the paprika over the top. Add the zested and squeezed lemon rinds to the pan.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes to the perimeter of the pan, then drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the top of the tomatoes. Return to the oven for another 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve on a bed of spinach, topped with feta cheese and with extra lemon wedges for squeezing. Optional accompaniments: Roasted red peppers, pepperoncinis, pita bread with hummus, or cucumbers.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 262 Total Fat 9g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 55mg Sodium 589mg Carbohydrates 22g Fiber 4g Sugar 8g Protein 24g