I have a history of being a little “meh” about chicken thighs, but this Israeli Roast Chicken recipe may have been the final push that sent me over to the dark side (get it? You know, like in Star Wars? ….Anyone?).
This Israel chicken recipe couldn’t be easier to make, and your efforts will result in a fragrant and succulent dinner in under an hour.
Just lay some red onion, garlic, and rosemary in the bottom of of a baking dish…
Then season some chicken thighs with paprika, salt, and pepper before browning both sides in a pan and arranging them on top of the aromatics (<– fancy word for the onion/garlic/rosemary).
What’s awesome about this is the aromatics prop the chicken up off of the pan so they roast and stay nice and crisp on the outside, rather than steaming and getting soggy.
About the time your timer starts beeping you’ll notice your house suddenly smells amazing. Check to make sure the chicken is done, then serve it up with some lemon slices for squeezing!
Just check out this crispiness:
You can make this recipe with bone-in, skin-on chicken but I wanted to lighten it up a bit and found that it’s just as delicious without the extra fat.
You could certainly use whatever kind of chicken you have on hand!
I served this with a super easy Jerusalem Salad for a fresh and easy dinner.
This Israeli chicken dish stays so moist and wonderful it’s unbelievable.
In other news, I really wish I could think of a different word for “moist” but I just can’t.
The roasted red onions are a delicious accompaniment to the roasted chicken, but I wouldn’t recommend eating the peel-on garlic or rosemary sprigs.
I hope you know that, but I thought I should mention it just in case.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 5 sprigs Rosemary
- 1 head garlic, broken into cloves but left unpeeled
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Season both sides of the chicken thighs evenly with paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange the rosemary sprigs, unpeeled garlic cloves, and sliced red onion in the bottom of a 9 x 13 glass baking dish.
- Place four of the chicken thighs into the pan. Let cook for 2 minutes per side, or until browned. You do not need to cook the chicken all the way through, you just want to get some good color on the outside. Once browned, remove the chicken pieces from the skillet and place on top of the bed of rosemary, garlic, and onion in the baking dish.
- Repeat with the remaining four chicken thighs. You may need to overlap the thighs a bit to fit them all into the pan.
- Place all eight browned chicken thighs in the baking dish into the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes. Increase heat to 375 and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through (internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit).
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 527Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 24gCholesterol 273mgSodium 2148mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 56g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.