This easy, healthy chicken cordon bleu recipe combines the sweet and tangy flavors of honey and Dijon mustard with baked chicken, ham and melted Swiss cheese for a tasty dish!
I was an adult before I ever had the pleasure of tasting chicken cordon bleu, though I always thought saying it was quite fun.
I picture myself wearing a French chapeau when I say ‘cordon bleu’, however, it is not necessary to don a beret to make this recipe.
It’s quick and easy, and I must say delicious.
When I was a kid, I loved to eat chicken legs; I could eat them with my hands and not get in trouble for it.
But then, one Sunday after church, I bit into a chicken leg, and I saw what looked like a vein.
I asked my dad if that it really was a blood vein, hoping he would say “no”.
He said it was, and as a nine year old, that was enough to completely gross me out!
I was told that I wouldn’t find veins in the white meat pieces of chicken, and so I became a connoisseur of the chicken breast.
You’ll be glad to know that I have matured a bit since then, and so have my taste buds!
Finding new and delicious ways to cook chicken breasts has always been a quest of mine.
My family loves white meat chicken; it’s kind of a staple at our house and we love healthy chicken recipes.
Since we love the taste of chicken cordon bleu with the ham and Swiss cheese, I decided to experiment with making a healthy chicken cordon bleu recipe.
To make my cordon blue chicken recipe more flavorful, I created a honey mustard marinade for the chicken before it is cooked and then topped the finished dish with a sweet, tangy Dijon mustard and honey drizzle.
The drizzle is so yummy, you will want to dredge each bite in the remaining drizzle on your plate. Delicious!
I try to eat gluten-free by choice, so I played around with making a non-breaded version of chicken cordon bleu.
I experimented with different marinades, then, voilà, I created this recipe of baked, healthy, gluten free chicken cordon bleu.
My family loves it, so it makes a frequent appearance at our dinner table.
This healthy chicken recipe has so much flavor in the marinade and drizzle, that you don’t miss the breading.
For those of you who choose to eat a low-carb diet, this is a great dish to add to your meal plan.
It’s easy to make, and goes well with roasted vegetables. I know you’ll enjoy this healthy, low carb chicken cordon bleu recipe.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 4 Thin-sliced chicken breast
- 6 oz shaved ham
- I cup grated Swiss cheese
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp gluten free Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp gluten free Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp honey
- Whisk the olive oil, mustard and honey together to make the marinade.
- Rinse the chicken breast with water and place them in a bowl.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken, making sure to get each breast completely coated. Let it sit for 2 or more hours, or overnight,
in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Place the marinated chicken breasts in a baking dish, and bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, whisk together the mustard and
honey drizzle. Set aside for now.
- Remove the dish from the oven, and drain the liquid from the
dish. You can siphon it out with a turkey baster or take the chicken out of the dish and pour off the excess liquid and return the chicken to the baking dish.
- Brush a small amount of the drizzle over each chicken
- Arrange the shaved ham over each individual chicken
breast, using ¼ of the ham on each chicken breast.
- Return the dish to the oven to bake for 7 more minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven, and sprinkle ¼ cup of the
grated Swiss cheese over each chicken breast topped with ham.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake for 2-3 more minutes,
just to melt the cheese.
- Remove the dish from the oven, and place the chicken on a
serving platter or directly on your plate.
- Pour in a zig-zag motion ¼ of the remaining drizzle over
each plated chicken breast, and eat! Bon Appétit!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 541 Total Fat 25g Saturated Fat 8g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 15g Cholesterol 154mg Sodium 1031mg Carbohydrates 25g Fiber 1g Sugar 23g Protein 55g
You'll Also Love:
Last Updated on