These Breakfast Burrito Bowls are just the thing for busy mornings and empty stomachs. Make the filling on a Sunday for quick breakfasts all week!
When I was studying psychology at university, I remember reading an article once about perceived versus actual levels of desired variety.
Here’s a quick run-down of how the study went:
A group of psychologists went around to office buildings in the local area and asked workers to use a provided form to pre-order their lunches for the next month. There were multiple options from restaurants in the area, so the workers had a wide variety to choose from.
Each day at lunch time, the workers were then asked if they would like to proceed with the choice they made at the beginning of the study, or if they would prefer to have something else that day.
The results of the study showed that when asked to predict their perceived desires, individuals indicated a strong preference for variety. However, on a day-to-day basis, the participants actually preferred to eat the same few things over and over.
When filling out the initial form, a worker might say they would like a different thing every single day that month. But, each day at lunch time, they really just wanted to stick to their favorites.
What the heck does this have to do with quick and easy breakfast burrito bowls?
Well, that study pretty much sums up how I approach breakfast.
When I grocery shop, I pick up all sorts of stuff I think I will want to eat for breakfast.
Yet, when I drag my rear end out of bed, down the stairs, and into the kitchen, I end up making myself the same thing pretty much every day.
Which really isn’t a bad thing because YOU GUYS THESE BREAKFAST BURRITO BOWLS.
Why would I make something else, anyway?
You all know that I’m obsessed with these taco boats, and that I’ll put avocado and cilantro on pretty much anything.
These little babies are super filling and use my new favorite secret ingredient: lima beans. YEP. Those weird little beans your mom tried to force feed you as a kid. They’re back, and (surprise!) they actually taste good.
I love to do a breakfast burrito bowl meal prep and make a big batch of the filling for these breakfast burrito bowls on a Sunday morning, then store the leftovers in the fridge to make quick breakfasts for the rest of the week. The filling is made up of lima beans (yay!), corn, onions, and Old El Paso™ Taco Seasoning.
Then, at breakfast time, I just scramble an egg, build the bowls, and add toppings as desired. A drizzle of taco sauce sends the whole thing over the top!
You can thank me at the end of your week for these make ahead breakfast burrito bowls!
Because I’m a genius, I’ve been buying these Stand N’ Stuff™ Soft Taco Dinner Kits. They come with 8 of the soft taco boats, as well as the taco seasoning and sauce. BOOM. So easy. If you want to call this a breakfast taco bowl recipe, I’m okay with that.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 14 oz. can lima beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14 oz. can sweet corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1 Old El Paso™ Stand N’ Stuff™ Soft Taco Dinner Kit
- 8 large eggs
- 2 ounces milk
- Optional Garnishes: halved cherry tomatoes, diced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro leaves.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the lima beans, corn, and taco seasoning packet from the Dinner Kit. Sauté for another 2 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs and milk together in a large bowl. Heat a clean non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Pour in the eggs and scramble until cooked to your liking.
- Assemble the burrito bowls by dividing the seasoned onion mixture into the 8 soft taco bowls provided in the Dinner Kit. Top each bowl with 1/8 of the scrambled eggs. Open the taco sauce packet and drizzle over the top of the burrito bowls. Garnish as desired with tomato, avocado, and cilantro.
Make breakfast an interactive experience by setting out the prepared ingredients and letting the family build their own burrito bowls!
If you don’t need to make the entire recipe all in one morning, prepare the onion, lime bean, and corn filling as directed and use as needed throughout the week.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 266Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 194mgSodium 151mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 7gSugar 5gProtein 14g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
Today’s Quick and Easy Breakfast Burrito Bowl recipe is sponsored by the wonderful people over at Old El Paso. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Wanderlust Kitchen!