This Simple Shepherd’s Pie recipe is a great version of a favorite Scottish dish that uses lean ground beef but creates the same full, hearty flavor you love.
Yes, I realize that today is April 1st, and no, this post is not a joke.
Maybe some of you are enjoying a beautiful spring day with chirping birds, blooming cherry blossoms, and iced tea on your porch.
Where I live today is filled with gloomy gray skies, howling wind, and intermittent thunderstorms.
On days like today, I require comfort food.
Unfortunately, I have an uncanny inability to plan for meals ahead of time, so when I’m craving Shepherd’s Pie I never seem to have any leftover mashed potatoes to use.
I loooove this shepherd’s pie recipe because it’s super easy and requires about zero forethought to make it. Rather than using mashed potatoes for topping, I use thinly sliced potatoes and sprinkle tasty white cheddar cheese on top.
My good friends over at Simply Organic challenged me to reclaim the casserole by putting together a dish without any of the “yuck” ingredients that are so frequently called for in a recipe.
I have a rule when I make casseroles: NO “cream-of-questionable-life-choices” soup.
Instead, I like to use REAL cheese, yogurt, and flavorful herbs to satisfy my cravings.
Done and DONE.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Thyme Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Parsley Flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic Fennel Seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Fine Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper Medium Grind
- 12 ounces white or yellow potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onion (about 1 large onion)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot, tapioca starch or tapioca flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 ounce shredded white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the potatoes into 1/8” thick slices. Boil in water for 4-6 minutes until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook for another 5 minutes, breaking up the large pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Season the beef with thyme, parsley, fennel seed, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and sauté, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Dissolve arrowroot into broth, pour into the pan and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the diced tomatoes and Greek yogurt.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Arrange the sliced potatoes on top in an overlapping pattern. Top with shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook for another 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 568|Total Fat: 24g|Saturated Fat: 8g|Trans Fat: 0g|Unsaturated Fat: 13g|Cholesterol: 109mg|Sodium: 665mg|Carbohydrates: 49g|Fiber: 6g|Sugar: 11g|Protein: 41g|
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
April 1, 2015 | Last Updated on September 1, 2020 by Linda