This Skinny Baja Fish Tacos recipe is a delicious low calorie fish tacos recipe with mango salsa, seasoned white fish, broccoli slaw and Greek yogurt.
I realize that this time of year it makes much more sense to be cooking things with pumpkin and apples, but I just have to share this Skinny Baja Fish Taco recipe with you.
I just never get sick of fresh, bright flavors and I’ll be darned if I let the weather get me down!
You’ll never guess that these tacos are low in calories, because they are BIG on flavor.
The mango fruit salsa adds a wonderful sweet-and-spicy flavor to these low cal fish tacos and pairs wonderfully with the smokiness of the fish.
If you can’t find fresh mango, feel free to use the canned/jarred variety (rinse off the syrup!) or grab a bag from the freezer aisle.
I used fresh mango for these Baja style fish tacos, because I get to use my handy mango tool that I just love so much!
This healthy Baja fish taco recipe calls for canned Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, which can be found on the Hispanic foods aisle.
When I open a can to just use one or two of the peppers, I like to save the rest by laying them out on a piece of Press ‘n Seal wrap, placing another piece of wrap on the top, then using my fingers to draw a grid on the wrap and seal the extra peppers into little individual pockets.
I freeze the sheet of peppers, then just cut them out one by one when I need them.
These peppers can get pretty hot, so just use two to make the salsa and you should be good to go.
I used Tilapia (I know, I’m totally obsessed!) here but you could use any type of firm white fish you like.
Simply dust the fish with dry rub mixture of chili powder, salt, and pepper, then fry in a pan for a few minutes per side until cooked through.
Break it up into small pieces and divide it among eight corn tortillas. Top with the broccoli slaw, fruit slaw, and Greek yogurt, then serve with lime wedges.
The husband completely scarfed these skinny fish tacos down.
I’ve listed a serving as 2 Baja tacos, but it’s realistically more like 4 tacos for the husband, 2 tacos for me, and 2 tacos for a late night snack (also for the husband).
Skinny Baja Fish Tacos Recipe
For the Fruit Salsa
- 1 1/2 c. finely chopped mango
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce - finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
For the Fish
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs. white fish fillets - tilapia, halibut, cod
For the Tacos
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/2 c. broccoli slaw
- 1 c. plain Greek yogurt
- Lime wedges for serving
- Mix together fruit salsa ingredients. Set aside.
- Mix together chili powder, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle on both sides of the fish fillets.
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add half of the fish. Fry the fish for 2-3 minutes per side, until opaque and cooked through. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Repeat with remaining fish.
- Use a fork to break the fish up into small pieces and divide it among 8 tortillas. Divide the broccoli slaw, fruit salsa, and plain Greek yogurt evenly among the 8 tacos. Serve with lime wedges.