Thai Ginger Chicken Stir Fry Recipe: Savory chicken, sharp onions, and bright ginger are coated in a wonderfully versatile stir-fry sauce in this take-out favorite.
I believe I’ve mentioned this about six times, but I have a problem with ordering new things on restaurant menus.
This seems odd, considering I spend a LOT of my time trying new recipes in my own kitchen.
I seem to get in a habit of ordering the same thing over and over; once I find something I like, I stick with it.
I cook lots of Thai food at home (and I’m obsessed with the Pok Pok Cookbook) but when it comes to eating out, I know what I like and I just want to stick with it.
When I’m cooking at home, I know *exactly* what’s going into a dish, and I can usually taste-test and adjust things as I go. In a restaurant, it’s a total crap-shoot.
What if I order something and I don’t like it? Why order Thai ginger chicken when I know I love the cashew chicken?
I’ve been forcing myself to be brave and order new things at the Thai place near my house. For a small-town restaurant, it’s surprisingly delicious.
All in all, I’d say that I’ve been very pleased with about 85% of the new dishes I’ve tried.
One of my new favorites is Thai Chicken with Ginger.
If you’ve ever needed an excuse to buy a bottle of oyster sauce, THIS THAI GINGER SAUCE IS IT.
Trust me, it’s worth the investment. You could use this simple sauce to transform just about any stir-fry from bland to crave-worthy.
I absolutely love the bright, spicy taste of fresh ginger, but if you’re not a fan you can make this with pineapple or bell peppers instead.
I’m so glad I was able to recreate this Thai ginger stir fry dish at home!
Now I just have to make sure I don’t get stuck in a rut of ordering ginger chicken every time I go out for Thai food. Wish me luck!
If you love Thai food and Thai cooking as much as I do, then check out my post on 10 Kitchen Essentials for Thai Home Cooking.
Here’s the Recipe!
Thai Ginger Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
For the Sauce
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
For the Stir Fry
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced chicken breast - about 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced ginger matchsticks
- 3 cups large chunks of yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic - about 7-9 cloves
- 1 cup sliced scallions - about 3-4
- Whisk the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Toss the chicken breast with 1 tablespoon of fish sauce.
- Heat a wok over high heat for 5 minutes. Swirl in one tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add the chicken pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pieces are all separated and lightly browned (about 2 minutes).
- Add the onion and stir-fry for another 2 minutes until golden. Transfer the scallions, ginger, and garlic to the pan. Stir fry for 60 seconds, until garlic begins to brown. Stir the sauce and pour it into the pan. Let it bubble up and boil until thick, about 60-90 seconds. Serve with jasmine rice.