Vegan Southern Bowls are hearty, comforting, and the perfect way to use up leftover black eyed peas! Try this Southern vegan recipe today!
I’m in love with southern vegan recipes also known as vegan soul food recipes.
Vegan Southern Bowls, of course!
I, like just about everyone else I know, have been super into bowl food lately. I’ve been itching to get my hands on this awesome cookbook.
In the meantime I’m just making up my own fun ways of shoving a bunch of food into a bowl and eating it in front of the TV.
This vegan southern recipe uses up leftover black eyed peas and cooked rice, which means all you really need to do is do a quick saute of some collard greens and assemble everything in a bowl!
I love pickles with my vegan Southern food, so I chose to use up some of my zucchini pickles as a topping. You could just use regular bread-and-butter (aka sweet) pickles instead if it’s what you have in the fridge!
Being one of the rare people on the planet who loves raw onion, I simply sliced up some red onion to throw on top as well.
If you’re more sensitive to the sharp bite of onions, you can do one of three things:
- Leave the onions off completely (wussy!)
- Soak the sliced onions in cold water for a few minutes before using them (meh)
- Use quick-pickled red onions instead (yassssss)
I actually made this vegan southern food recipe while camping a few weeks ago and it was so perfect for eating by the fire.
OK, so when I say I “made” this when I went camping, what I mean is that I made all of it ahead of time and put it in the cooler, then assembled it into bowls on the picnic table, then begged my parents to turn on their RV generator so I could heat it up in their microwave.
It’s called roughing it, TRY IT SOMETIME.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 bunch collard greens
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup sliced yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 cups cooked white rice, warmed
- 2 1/2 cups southern-style vegan black eyed peas, warmed
- 1/2 cup sliced raw (or pickled) red onion
- 1/2 cup spiralized zucchini pickles
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- Separate the collard green stems from the leaves. Dice the stems and set aside. Roughly chop the leaves.
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the collard green stems along with the sliced yellow onion; saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned. Add the garlic to the pan and saute for an additional minute.
- Add the chopped leaves to the pan along with the red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Toss the collard greens to coat the leaves in the pan liquid, then cover the pan and turn the heat down to medium low. Allow the greens to steam, stirring occasionally, until the leaves are bright green and tender (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Divide the rice, black eyed peas, and collard greens into four bowls. Top each with a quarter of the red onion and zucchini pickles. Garnish with sliced green onion and serve warm.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 454Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 0mgSodium 438mgCarbohydrates 66gFiber 14gSugar 13gProtein 16g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
You'll Also Love:
Last Updated on