You know how they say necessity breeds invention? Well I want cheesecake but it is HOT outside and I don’t want to use my oven. Or anything else that emits heat. Enter the 5 Ingredient Layered Mango Cheesecake Parfaits!
Maybe it’s the heat, or maybe it’s pure laziness… but I just needed something simple. And cool. And easy.
So what are the five magical ingredients? Any guesses?
It’s so simple! It’s just:
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Cream cheese
- Heavy cream
- Powdered sugar
Mangoes are deliciously sweet this time of year. My very, very favorite kind are champagne mangoes which are small and yellow. Sometimes you’ll see them labeled as ataulfo mangoes. If you’re really in a pinch, you could use some thawed frozen mango chunks.
I would highly recommend picking up a mango splitting tool to easily remove the pit from your mangoes. It makes it SO much easier than doing it by hand – I use mine all throughout the year.
Here’s the low-down on how to make these little beauties:
- Remove the peel and pit from the mangoes (see this video for help). Puree flesh until smooth. Set aside.
- Whip the cream. Fold in the powdered sugar, followed by ROOM TEMPERATURE cream cheese. Don’t you dare try to use cold cream cheese, it really won’t work.
- Layer the ingredients in a glass.
- Chill (or not). Eat.
It’s a pretty flexible recipe. If your mangoes are as sweet as you’d like them to be you could add a little honey while you puree them. If you wanted to get really crazy you could melt butter into the graham cracker crumbs to form a more traditional “crust.”
I used piping bags to layer my cheesecake parfaits because I’m a freak and had to take pictures. If you spoon the ingredients in it may not be as pretty but it will taste just as good. If you’re worried about it, just build these in a non-see-through glass
The only thing that really isn’t flexible about this recipe is the room-temperature cream cheese. Seriously, I can’t stress it enough. It should be almost warm. If you jump the gun and try to fold it in while it is still cold you’ll end up with chunky cheesecake mixture. All you can really do at that point is try to heat up a little cream and drizzle it in slowly while you beat the mixture into submission.
Okay, ready for some super-easy cheesecake parfait goodness?
Here’s your recipe!
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and stoned
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces room temperature plain cream cheese
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 package of graham crackers, crushed into crumbs
- Purée the mango flesh in a food processor until smooth.
- Whisk the cream to soft peaks. Fold in the powdered sugar and room temperature cream cheese and beat slowly until incorporated.
- Divide graham cracker crumbs into the bottom of four serving glasses.
- Layer mango puree and cream cheese mixture into each glass. Refrigerate until chilled if desired.