This Avocado Chicken recipe is a mouthful of fresh, delicious flavors with avocado, red onion, lime juice and spices that your whole family will love with a side of corn salsa!
Before our trip to Mexico in April of 2013 I think I cooked nothing but Latin food for at least a week before we went. I was just feeling that vibe!
We got back on May 4th and completely spaced the whole “Cinco de Mayo” thing that was happening the next day.
Needless to say, we were swamped with Mexican food for another few days after we got back. I couldn’t even look at a taco for weeks after that binge fest.
Here’s a meal I put together a few days before we left – Avocado Chicken with Corn Salsa.
Don’t be turned off by the cayenne pepper – it ends up being rather mild and the avocado really helps mellow out this chicken and avocado dish.
The corn salsa has just enough acidity from the lime juice to complement the richness of the chicken dish.
Here’s the Recipe!
For the avocado chicken
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 to 8 oz. each)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil (olive oil works fine, too)
- 1 very small red onion, diced
- 1/2 of an avocado, preferably Hass, chopped into big chunks
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Black pepper
For the corn salsa
- 1 cup cooked yellow corn (frozen is fine, but let it thaw in the fridge first)
- 1/2 medium firm tomato, diced
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1/8 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 jalapeno, seeds and membranes removed, minced
- Juice of one half of a lime
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make this first and let the ingredients get acquainted in the fridge while you work on the chicken.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, tomato, green and red onions, and jalapeno. Stir to combine.
- Add the juice of one lime, fresh cilantro, and chili powder. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to season.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, preferably at least 30 minutes.
- In a small dish, combine the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and garlic powder. Rub the mixture all over the surface of your two chicken breasts.
- Heat a large skillet with a lid over medium-high heat. Once it is hot, add the grapeseed oil.
- Add the chicken breasts and let cook for one minute, then turn them over.
- Turn the heat down to low right away and cover the chicken.
- After ten minutes (absolutely no peeking!), turn the heat off and let the chicken rest for another ten minutes (again, don’t you dare lift that lid!).
- Meanwhile, make the avocado relish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the onion and lime juice. Let it sit for a minute to mellow out the onion.
- Get your avocado all chopped up and season it with salt and pepper.
- Once your chicken is done, make sure it has an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, fold the avocado into the onion and lime juice mixture.
- Top your chicken with the avocado mixture and serve with a side of corn relish.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 508Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 102mgSodium 592mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 7gSugar 21gProtein 42g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.