With fresh ingredients and a little spiciness this East Africa Mango Cucumber Salad is delicious on its own or as a side dish to complement grilled meats.
Just look at all the pretty colors!
Did you know that people eat more when there is a lot of color on their plates? I don’t know why I felt the need to share that random fact with you, but there it is.
Sooo remember on Wednesday when I promised to share a special East African salad recipe with you?
I bet you weren’t expecting a salad like this, were you? (Ahem, if you missed my East African Braised Chicken recipe you should probably go check it out)
I adapted this African cucumber mango salad recipe from one I found in my all time favorite cookbook, Cooking Light’s Global Kitchen. I mean… international recipes that won’t make me fat? Yes, please.
It also doesn’t hurt that my very, very favorite most-loved-of-all-time fruit is in this recipe. Oh, mangoes. You just get me.
This Mango and Cucumber Salad is as easy at cutting up some produce, adding some spices, and mixing it all together.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomato
- 1 red or green jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Dash of cinnamon
- 2 champagne mangoes, pitted and diced
- 3 Tablespoons chopped, unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Toss together the cucumber, onion, salt, and garlic in a colander. Let stand 20 minutes to drain.
- Meanwhile, toss together peanut oil, tomato, jalapeno, cumin, cinnamon, and mango in a large bowl.
- Add the cucumber mixture to the bowl and toss to combine. Garnish with peanuts, cilantro, and lime juice.
Inspired by Cooking Light's Global Kitchen
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 128|Total Fat: 3g|Saturated Fat: 1g|Trans Fat: 0g|Unsaturated Fat: 2g|Cholesterol: 0mg|Sodium: 202mg|Carbohydrates: 16g|Fiber: 2g|Sugar: 11g|Protein: 2g|
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
July 25, 2014 | Last Updated on June 16, 2021 by Linda