Just look at all the pretty colors!
Did you know that people eat more when there is a lot of color on their plates? I don’t know why I felt the need to share that random fact with you, but there it is.
Sooo remember on Wednesday when I promised to share a special East African salad recipe with you? I bet you weren’t expecting a salad like this, were you? (Ahem, if you missed my East African Braised Chicken recipe you should probably go check it out)
I adapted this recipe from one I found in my all time favorite cookbook, Cooking Light’s Global Kitchen. I mean… international recipes that won’t make me fat? Yes, please.
It also doesn’t hurt that my very, very favorite most-loved-of-all-time fruit is in this recipe. Oh, mangoes. You just get me.
This Mango & Cucumber Salad is as easy at cutting up some produce, adding some spices, and mixing it all together.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomato
- 1 red or green jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Dash of cinnamon
- 2 champagne mangoes, pitted and diced
- 3 Tablespoons chopped, unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Toss together the cucumber, onion, salt, and garlic in a colander. Let stand 20 minutes to drain.
- Meanwhile, toss together peanut oil, tomato, jalapeno, cumin, cinnamon, and mango in a large bowl.
- Add the cucumber mixture to the bowl and toss to combine. Garnish with peanuts, cilantro, and lime juice.
Inspired by Cooking Light's Global Kitchen
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 128 Total Fat 3g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 202mg Carbohydrates 16g Fiber 2g Sugar 11g Protein 2g