Whether enjoyed as a salad, side, or wrapped in pita, this Turkish Cucumber, Feta, and Tomato Salad is one meze you don’t want to miss!
First things, first. Go back and read Wednesday’s post on Turkish Black Eyed Pea Salad!
Okay, now that you’re up-to-date on my time in Istanbul, let’s talk about Ephesus and Kusadasi.
These ruins are old. Like, 10th century BCE old!
In one expansive site, you can see everything from 3,000 year old pottery to the beautiful Library of Celsus (above), circa 135 CE.
This amphitheater is believed to be where St. Paul preached the Ephesians.
There’s some seriously cool stuff to see in the ruins at Ephesus, but I feel like it just doesn’t get any love. Everyone goes to see the Acropolis of Athens, Petra of Jordan, the Colosseum of Rome, etc., etc.
I mean, this place was THE place to be back in the day. This is where the Temple of Artemis once stood, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
All that’s left now is this reconstructed column which identifies the site for passersby:
If you ever have a chance to explore these ruins, TAKE IT! I’ve seen my share of ruins around the world, and this site was by far my favorite.
After a long day of exploring, head into the port town of Kusadasi and grab a table at one of the seaside restaurants. Order freshly caught fish and a spread of mezes.
This Cucumber, Feta, and Tomato Salad might just be on the menu!
You can see more photos from my trip to Greece and Turkey right here!
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, finely sliced
- 1 large, ripe tomato, diced
- 3 ounces Feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium bowl, combine the cucumber, scallion, tomato, and Feta.
- Scatter the parsley leaves on top, sprinkle on the red pepper flakes, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Toss well to combine. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 261 Total Fat 23g Saturated Fat 8g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 14g Cholesterol 38mg Sodium 401mg Carbohydrates 8g Fiber 2g Sugar 5g Protein 8g