All day today I’ve been thinking about getting a puppy. I really want a little Basset Hound puppy because I adore all things pathetic. However, I’ve never potty-trained a dog before and it kind of sounds like a lot of work.
I’ve been watching many of my friends/relatives/co-workers/EVERYONE I KNOW have kids these past few years and potty training looks really hard. Do you think it’s easier to potty train a kid, or a puppy?
So… speaking of things that are easy, let’s talk about this Thai Cucumber & Cashew Salad (sweet segue, right?).
This salad has it all. It’s sweet, spicy, sour, and salty – what more could you ask for? Other than a puppy, I mean.
The cashews add just the right amount of texture and crunch. You can make the salad ahead of time and let it marinate in your fridge, but don’t add the cashews until you’re serving it up or they will get soggy and gross. I’d also recommend going for the roasted-salted cashews rather than the plain raw ones, but if all you can find is raw, don’t let that keep you from making this.
You’re just a few minutes away from serving up a quick, easy, and delicious side to accompany any Thai dish. We had this alongside some Peanut Panang Beef Curry and it was perfectly refreshing next to the rich complexity of the curry.
Okay, I’m off to go google basset hound puppy pictures.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1/4 c. fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Fish Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. chili-garlic sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- 2 large cucumbers, partially peeled and cut into half-circles
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. chopped cashews
- Combine the lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar, chili-garlic sauce, and garlic in a small bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to soften the flavors of the garlic.
- Combine chopped cilantro and cucumbers in a large bowl, add the dressing and black pepper, then toss to coat. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Immediately before serving, sprinkle the chopped cashews over the top.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 61 Total Fat 3g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 424mg Carbohydrates 9g Fiber 1g Sugar 4g Protein 2g