This Easy Chicken Cacciatore Pasta recipe is a delicious mix of tender, slow cooked chicken that is simmered in a robust tomato sauce in this classic dish.
Man, I am on SUCH a comfort food kick lately!
I don’t know if it’s the gloomy weather or the stress of the remodel, but given the choice between light + fresh and heavy + hearty, comfort food is going to win every time.
That’s why I’m in luuuurvvee with this easy Chicken Cacciatore.
I adore pretty much any recipe which lets me dump a bunch of stuff in a pot, walk away, and come back to a fabulous dinner.
Another great thing about this dish is its flexibility. I make this when we’re trying to use up random things in the pantry and fridge, so it turns out a little different every time.
You’ll definitely need some tomatoes in there, but it doesn’t really matter too much if you used whole peeled tomatoes or the diced variety.
Grab all of those half-empty bottles of olives, capers, red peppers, and pepperoncinis in your fridge and toss that stuff in willy-nilly.
Sun-dried tomatoes, fresh or dried herbs, garlic, onion, and cheese are also welcome additions.
I’ll start you off with a basic recipe, and you can feel free to experiment as you like.
The only words of caution I have are in regards to salt. If you salt your pasta, salt your chicken, use salted tomatoes, then throw capers + pepperoncinis + cheese into the whole thing, it’s probably going to come out pretty darn salty.
Use your best judgment – you can always add a bit more salt and pepper when it’s done cooking.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
A sturdy enameled Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot, a wooden spoon, and a healthy appetite.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 28 ounce can of whole tomatoes with juices
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 3 large pepperoncinis
- 1/4 c. jarred roasted red pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat until nearly smoking. Add the chicken thighs in a single layer and let brown undisturbed for 90 seconds on each side.
- Add the remaining ingredients and allow the contents to come to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium and cook, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick (about 60 minutes).
- Optional: Serve with pasta, topped with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293|Total Fat: 12g|Saturated Fat: 3g|Trans Fat: 0g|Unsaturated Fat: 8g|Cholesterol: 137mg|Sodium: 1012mg|Carbohydrates: 20g|Fiber: 4g|Sugar: 15g|Protein: 30g|
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
February 18, 2015 | Last Updated on January 23, 2021 by Linda