An easy recipe for vegetables roasted with the delicious fennel vegetable bulb. Parsnips, carrots, red onion and brussel sprouts are roasted with fennel, garlic, white pepper and olive oil for a tasty side dish!
Why is it so hot outside right now?? I’m ready for Fall and the weather needs to start cooperating.
I know that in a couple of months I’ll be dying for some fresh corn and tomatoes, so before I’m completely sick of Fall and Winter vegetables I’m going to eat a bunch of them.
Are you with me?
I thought so.
This is a really simple recipe for vegetables roasted with delicious Fennel vegetable bulb.
If you’re not familiar with the pungent flavor and aroma of Fennel, you’re really missing out. Some people describe it as having a licorice flavor.
It took me a while to acquire a taste for Fennel and Anise, but the tipping point definitely happened while we were in Greece.
In both Turkey and Greece we had anise-flavored liquors called Raki (in Turkey) and Ouzo (in Greece).
We ordered Ouzo blindly off a menu in Athens and did NOT expect a black-licorice flavor.
I wish I had a picture of the look on our faces when we both took our first sip.
Once we got used to the idea, we found that we really liked it! We even brought a bottle home to sip on for special occasions.
Actually, I think I’ll have some of that tonight. Talking about it has really given me a craving 🙂
Once you’ve acquire a taste for the unique flavor of fennel you’ll love to cook with it!
This roasted fennel recipe makes a great side dish for just about anything, so you’ll have plenty of excuses to make it.
Ready to get cookin’?
Here’s the Recipe!
- 2 parsnips
- 3 carrots
- 1 bulb fennel
- 1 small red onion
- 8 ounces brussel sprouts
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the parsnips, carrots, fennel, and red onion into bite-sized pieces. Trim the brussel sprouts stems. If your sprouts are very large, cut them in half so they are closer to the size of the other vegetables.
- Transfer all of the vegetables to a large bowl along with the whole garlic cloves. Toss with the olive oil and white pepper.
- Arrange the vegetables on a large rimmed baking sheet and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, stir the vegetables, then return to the oven. Turn the heat up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and let the vegetables cook for another 10 minutes, or until tender and browned.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 206Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 0mgSodium 49mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 5gSugar 6gProtein 3g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
You'll Also Love:
Last Updated on