Happy Meatless Monday!
I’ve got a yummy Asian-style noodle recipe for you today and I can’t wait to share it. Behold, Gingered Vegetable Noodle Stir Fry!
I’m usually hesitant to use Italian-style noodles in an Asian dish, but the whole wheat spaghetti noodles work really well in this one.
As you know, I’m certainly not a vegetarian and I love, love, love meat. However, I think there is something to be said for being aware of the impact our carnivorous appetites have on the environment and the world around us.
So, if you can eat something delicious that is meat-free a couple meals a week, why not do it?
But, if you’re entirely unable to eat a meal without any meat it in (I’m looking at you, Dad), some grilled chicken breasts would be absolutely delicious on top of these vegetable stir fry noodles.
This vegetable noodle recipe is a total breeze to make – just boil some noodles, set them aside, then go about sauteing your vegetables in a skillet.
Add some vinegar, broth, and soy sauce to the pan to make a little sauce, then toss everything together with the noodles.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 4 oz. thin whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 Tbsp. grape seed or vegetable oil, divided
- 12 oz. small brown mushrooms, rinsed, dried, and sliced
- 1 c. thinly sliced red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 12 oz. fresh brussel sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger root
- 1 Tbsp. minced hot chili pepper
- 1/2 c. vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/3 c. chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 Tbsp. blanched almonds
- Cook the spaghetti noodles until al dente, drain, and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Place the sliced mushrooms in the pan in a single layer and let cook for 1 minute. Use a wooden spoon to turn the mushrooms over and allow them to cook another minute on the other side. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil into the pan, let it heat up for a minute, then add the sliced red onion and minced garlic to the pan. Let the onions and garlic fry undisturbed for 45 seconds, then use your wooden spoon to stir them around. After another minute or so, pour in the vinegar then use your spoon to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan as the steam from the vinegar helps release the stuck-on pieces.
- Add the brussel sprouts, ginger and hot chili pepper into the pan and toss everything around. Let the mixture fry undisturbed for 1 minute then stir everything around and then it let cook for another minute. Add in the broth and soy sauce and cook for 3 more minutes. Return the mushrooms to the pan, then stir in the carrots and cilantro.
- Transfer the al dente spaghetti noodles to the pan and use tongs to toss all of the ingredients together. Serve hot and top with almonds.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 213Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 0mgSodium 529mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 7gSugar 8gProtein 9g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.