This Garlic Herb Butter recipe is so delicious and so versatile as you can make herb butter or herb butter sauce with or without garlic and use it on bread, vegetables, meat, pasta, pizza and seafood.
This homemade garlic butter is an easy way to add flavor to any meal.
You can use this as a spread on bread. It is excellent when used for garlic bread. Spread it on French baguette slices (or the bread of your choice) and toast them in the oven.
Use this compound butter for steak by melting it on top of a steak.
When you make the sauce version, then you can use it as a garlic butter dipping sauce for vegetables, pizza and seafood. This is so good as a shrimp scampi sauce or as a dip for crab legs.
The sauce version also makes a great garlic herb pasta sauce.
How to Make Garlic Herb Butter
Assemble the ingredients. The exact amounts are in the recipe card below.
If you are making the herb butter, then let the butter soften to room temperature. If you are making the herb butter sauce, then you can use the butter right out of the fridge.
In a medium-sized, microwave safe bowl, combine the butter, chives, parsley, tarragon and optional garlic and mix well.
If you are using this as a butter or spread, you are done, so serve now or chill in the refrigerator. This makes a great herb butter for steak!
You can make this flavored butter into a log by wrapping it in wax paper and chilling it in the refrigerator.
How to Make Garlic Herb Butter Sauce
If you are using this as a sauce, like a garlic butter sauce for seafood, then add in the lemon juice and hot sauce and mix well.
Heat in the microwave on 50% power until the butter is melted, about 15-45 seconds.
Serve the garlic butter sauce warm.
This Garlic Herb Butter Sauce is excellent to dip meat and vegetables in after cooking in a fondue broth!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use dried herbs in this recipe?
Yes, just use ⅓ of the amount of fresh herbs since the dried herbs are more potent.
Is this recipe Keto Friendly?
Yes, it works with a keto meal plan.
Is this recipe gluten free?
How long does herb butter last?
This butter will last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
How to store herb butter?
You can store it in the refrigerator rolled in wax paper or plastic wrap as a log, or in an air-tight container or a zip-top bag.
Can you freeze herb butter?
Yes, and it will last 2 to 3 months in the freezer.
Garlic Herb Butter Recipe
For Herb Butter
- 1 cup salted butter - softened
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
Add for Garlic Herb Butter
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
Add for Herb Butter Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Dash of Tabasco Hot Pepper Sauce
- In a medium-sized, microwave safe bowl, combine the butter, chives, parsley, tarragon and optional garlic and mix well.
- If you are using this as a butter or spread, you are done, so serve now or chill in the refrigerator.
- If you are using this as a sauce, then add in the lemon juice and hot sauce and mix well.
- Heat in the microwave on 50% power until the butter is melted, about 15-45 seconds.
- Stir well.
- Serve warm.