Does anyone else desperately need a vacation? Or how about some chicken that just tastes like you’re on vacation?
Behold, I give you Grilled Citrus-Marinated Mexican Chicken!
You guys, I pretty much live for this chicken. It is so incredible
moist succulent and flavorful, the pictures just don’t do it justice.
I took one bite and realized just how badly the husband and I need to get out of this Portland snow-globe of clouds and go somewhere beautiful. Sooooo I booked us a cruise to the Greek isles and Istanbul.
I’m SO excited! Eeee!
Aren’t those just the pretties oranges you’ve ever seen?
Psych! They’re actually Honeybells, which are a cross between a grapefruit and a tangerine. Beautiful, right?
The only thing more beautiful may be these caramelized grill marks:
The chicken gets marinated in orange juice overnight, so the acid tenderizes the chicken and the sugar helps create those oh-so-pretty caramelized grill marks.
You can cook this chicken on a grill, or using a grill pan like this one on your stove top.
Enough about the chicken, let’s get back to talking about my vacation. What do you think I should learn to cook while I’m in Greece?
I’m DEFINITELY going to hit up the spice markets in Istanbul and eat a ton of fish at each island we visit. Anyone have any other travel advice for us? It’s going to be my first time to Greece so I could really use some tips!
This chicken is totally killer (yes, I just said “killer”) with some Mexican rice and a class Three Bean & Three Pepper Salad (recipe is on it’s way!).
For those of you that follow on Facebook, you probably saw that I gave my followers the choice between this recipe being posted today, or my recipe for German Goulash. I think everyone must be as sick of the cold weather as I am because this tropical chicken recipe won by majority vote.
Be sure to pin this recipe to share it with your loved ones!
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 c. fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 dried chipotle chili pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 1 c. mild salsa
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 orange, sliced into rings
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Bring the orange juice, lime juice and chili pepper to a boil in a small saucepan. Turn the heat down to medium and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until the chili pepper is re-hydrated. Turn off the heat and let cool.
- Once cooked, pour the juice mixture into the bowl of a blender and add the salsa, olive oil, and salt. Puree until smooth. Place the chicken in a plastic zipper-close bag, then pour the marinade over the top. Let marinate at least 2 hours, or up to 10 hours.
- Preheat your grill to about 400 degrees Fahrenheit (high heat). Once hot, place the chicken breasts on the grill rack and cook 12-20 minutes (depending on thickness of breast), turning every few minutes to prevent burning.
- Once cooked through, remove the chicken from the grill and place on a platter. Garnish with the orange slices and cilantro.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 389 Total Fat 18g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 14g Cholesterol 102mg Sodium 1151mg Carbohydrates 17g Fiber 2g Sugar 12g Protein 39g