Simple ingredients of chicken, scallions, onion, garlic and ginger are brought to life with a hot chili sambal sauce in this delicious Stir Fried Malaysian Chicken recipe!
I love that it works just as well with chicken as it does with beef. Versatility is a requirement for any ingredient that is going to take up precious space in my fridge!
You can pretty much put this stuff on ANYTHING and know the end result will be pure deliciousness.
If you are searching for easy Malaysian recipes, look no more. This Malaysian chicken recipe is incredibly simple and just calls for a few basic ingredients. You can pick up a jar of sambal at an Asian food supply store, or at a well stocked major supermarket.
Everything else is pretty easy to come by: chicken, scallions, onion, garlic, ginger, sugar, rice vinegar and fish sauce.
If you aren’t already keeping a bottle of fish sauce in your pantry, you need to rethink your life decisions. I put fish sauce in everything from beef stew to Bloody Marys; it’s like the Worcestershire of the East.
Make sure to put a pot of rice on to cook before you get going on the Malaysian stir fry. Nothing worse than letting your stir fry get cold while you wait on the rice!
Here’s a link to a post where I wrote about the easiest way to cook rice with perfect results every time. Trust me, once you try it you’ll never use another method!
Share this simple Malaysian recipe with your friends and family on Pinterest with the graphic below.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 3/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons hot chili sambal, divided
- 1 tablespoon sesame or vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- Toss the chicken pieces with 2 tablespoons of fish sauce and 1 tablespoon of hot chili sambal.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add the chicken and brown for 4 minutes on one side.
- Stir the chicken and add the onion to the pan. Stir-fry the chicken and onions for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the sugar, vinegar, water, garlic, ginger, and remaining 1 tablespoon of fish sauce and 1 tablespoon of chili sambal.
- Pour the sauce into the pan and add the scallions. Cook for 2 more minutes to soften the scallions. Serve hot with lots of jasmine rice.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 395Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 169mgSodium 1288mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 63g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
You'll Also Love:
Last Updated on