Simple ingredients of chicken, scallions, onion, garlic and ginger are brought to life with a hot chili sambal sauce in this delicious Stir Fried Malaysian Chicken recipe!
Remember how I told you about my obsession with hot chili sambal? I can’t even figure out what I was doing with my life before I found this stuff.
I love that it works just as well with chicken as it does with beef. Versatility is a requirement for any ingredient that is going to take up precious space in my fridge!
You can pretty much put this stuff on ANYTHING and know the end result will be pure deliciousness.
If you are searching for easy Malaysian recipes, look no more. This Malaysian chicken recipe is incredibly simple and just calls for a few basic ingredients. You can pick up a jar of sambal at an Asian food supply store, or at a well stocked major supermarket.
Everything else is pretty easy to come by: chicken, scallions, onion, garlic, ginger, sugar, rice vinegar and fish sauce.
If you aren’t already keeping a bottle of fish sauce in your pantry, you need to rethink your life decisions. I put fish sauce in everything from beef stew to Bloody Marys; it’s like the Worcestershire of the East.
Make sure to put a pot of rice on to cook before you get going on the Malaysian stir fry. Nothing worse than letting your stir fry get cold while you wait on the rice!
Learn the easiest way to cook perfect rice every time. Trust me, once you try it you’ll never use another method!
Share this simple Malaysian recipe with your friends and family on Pinterest with the graphic below.
Try These Other Delicious Recipes:
- Pad See Ew
- Coconut Curry Salmon
- Thai Hot and Sour Fish Soup
- Tropical Thai Chicken Curry
- Chinese Sticky Lemon Chicken
Malaysian Stir Fried Chicken Recipe
- 1 3/4 lbs boneless - skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce - divided
- 2 tablespoons hot chili sambal - divided
- 1 tbsp sesame or vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion - roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- Toss the chicken pieces with 2 tablespoons of fish sauce and 1 tablespoon of hot chili sambal.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add the chicken and brown for 4 minutes on one side.
- Stir the chicken and add the onion to the pan. Stir-fry the chicken and onions for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the sugar, vinegar, water, garlic, ginger, and the remaining 1 tablespoon each of fish sauce and chili sambal.
- Pour the sauce into the pan and garnish with the scallions. Cook for 2 more minutes to soften the scallions. Serve hot with plenty of jasmine rice. To know more about cooking the perfect rice, check my How to Cook Perfect White Rice.