This easy Southwest Corn Salad recipe combines fresh corn, tomatoes, avocado, red onion and cilantro with a tasty dressing. This no cooking needed recipe is perfect for hot summer days!
It is so hot outside. And inside. And particularly in my kitchen. It’s unbearable and I’m whining.
I’ve been getting up before 6am just so I can get my workout in before my house turns into the surface of the sun.
I start my cooking at about 8:30am and even with the AC on it’s too hot in my kitchen to really cook anything.
I’m actually writing this post a bit in advance of when it will be posted because I’m about to head to Phoenix for 4 days for a super fun blogger retreat hosted by The Slow Roasted Italian.
If it is hot as heck here, I shudder to think what it will be like in Phoenix.
I have been obsessively checking the weather forecast and as of today it is expected to be 106 degrees with thunderstorms the whole time I’m there.
Um, what? How is that even possible? For the past several weeks I’ve been hearing the same thing from people about Arizona in August: “Yeah, but it’s a DRY heat.” Thunderstorms don’t sound that dry to me.
I suffered through April in Bangkok so I’m not afraid of a little humidity, but for reals my hair just doesn’t do well with moisture in the air.
Okay, so the point of all the weather talk is that it is really hot and I think we can all agree that we do not wish to use our ovens or stoves or grills right now.
Which is why this corn tomato avocado salad recipe is the best thing since sliced bread.
Because it’s hot and I’m lazy, I elected to leave the sweet corn raw instead of cooking it.
If you haven’t ever eaten raw corn, it tastes pretty much the same as cooked corn but with more liquid and a little bit of a starchy taste.
If you are really anti-raw corn, just thaw some frozen stuff and call it good.
Ready to get cookin’?
Southwest Corn Salad Recipe
- Kernels from 3 ears of corn
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes - quartered
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 avocado
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine corn, tomatoes, and red onion.
- Place avocado, lime juice, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Use a fork to mash the ingredients into a thick dressing.
- Scoop the avocado dressing into the corn mixture and toss well. Fold in the chopped cilantro. Serve at room temperature.