This delicious Mexican Corn Salad recipe is the perfect side dish for any Mexican themed meal or as a cool side dish to a summer barbeque.
The summer cookout time is upon us as well as Cinco de Mayo! Here is a Mexican Street Corn Salad recipe with fresh and tangy flavors that blend well together.
If you want an amazing Mexican dinner, then add this to my Asadero Cheese and Steak Tacos recipe and the Beer Battered Mexican Hushpuppies recipe or any of my other Mexican recipes and consider adding a Mexican Beverage too.
You may have heard of elote or esquites. So, elote is the Mexican name for grilled corn on the cob, often sold on the streets of Mexico and served on a stick. This elote has a coating on the grilled corn of mayonaise, chili powder, cotija cheese, and lime juice. Esquites is the elote with the corn removed from the cob and served in a cup and eaten with a spoon.
This Mexican Corn Salad recipe is my take on the esquites in salad form with a few more ingredients: red bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, green onions, jalapeño pepper and creamy avocado.
How to Make Mexican Corn SaladHere is how to make this delicious Mexican Corn Salad. It is really easy. For the details of the ingredient amounts, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Assemble the colorful ingredients for this elote salad recipe.
Cut the corn kernels off of each cob. If fresh corn on the cob is not available, you can also use canned or frozen corn.
Heat the olive oil in a large pan over high heat.
Add the corn and cook for 5-8 minutes until some of the corn is charred. You can determine the level of charring that you desire. Here I have lightly charred the corn.
If you are using frozen corn, you don’t have to thaw it before cooking, but you will need to cook it for a few more minutes.
Move the corn to a large bowl and let it cool.
Once the corn has cooled, add the remaining ingredients to the bowl.
Then, stir to combine.
This Mexican corn dish is so easy to make and has a fresh, tangy flavor that everyone will love.
This corn salad is so good, I think you will add this to your list of summertime favorite recipes!
Here’s the Recipe!
- 4 cups sweet corn, freshly cut off the cob (about 5 ears of sweet corn)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 8 green onions (you can use either the scallions or the chives, your choice), chopped; about 1/8 cup
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped; about 1/4 cup
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 4 Tablespoons lime juice; about 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- Cut the corn off each cob. If fresh corn on the cob is not available, you can also use canned or frozen corn.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the corn and cook for 5-8 minutes until some of the corn is charred. If you are using frozen corn, you don’t have to thaw it before cooking, but you will need to cook it for a few more minutes.
- Move the corn to a bowl and let it cool.
- Once the corn has cooled, add the remaining ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Garnish with additional Cotija cheese and additional cilantro and serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 182Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 11mgSodium 198mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 5g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
April 24, 2021 | Last Updated on April 27, 2021 by Linda