This delicious Kiwi Salsa Verde is made with kiwi, tomatillos, onion, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeño peppers and a little sugar and salt for a fresh taste.
I absolutely adore “Salsa Verde.” We recently ate at a local Mexican restaurant and their salsa verde was so delicious! It inspired me to try something creative with a salsa verde recipe of my own.
I thought that adding some kiwi fruit into the mix would be a grand idea. The salsa verde remains in the green color spectrum, while the sweet fruit complements the tangy tomatillos.
It’s really important to roast the tomatillos before adding them to this kiwi salsa verde recipe. This brings out the robust and sweet flavor and cuts some of the tangy acidity found in raw tomatillos.
Simply husk, rinse, and quarter your tomatillos and place them in your oven to broil until roasted. Transfer to a food processor with peeled kiwi fruit, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, sugar, and lime juice then pulse until chopped but not liquefied. Season to taste with salt.
The easiest way to peel a kiwi is to begin by cutting off both ends with a sharp knife. Place one of the cut-sides down on a cutting board and use the knife to peel from top to bottom, working your way around the fruit.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 1/2 lb. tomatillos
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled
- 1/2 c. white onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c. cilantro leaves
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 2 Jalapeño peppers stemmed, seeded and chopped
- Salt to taste
- Remove the husks from your tomatillos and rinse in cold water. Cut them into quarters and place on a greased baking sheet. Set your oven’s broiler to high and place the pan in the oven. Check every two or three minutes to turn the tomatillos and make sure they aren’t burning. Remove from oven when they have a nice brown color.
- Meanwhile, place the peeled kiwi, chopped onion, cilantro leaves, lime juice, sugar, and Jalapeño peppers in a food processor or blender.
- Add the roasted tomatillos to the food processor and pulse until all of the ingredients are combined but not entirely pureed. You want some little lumps in there.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes before using. Try this as a dip with tortilla chips, or use it to top your favorite tacos, enchiladas, or tamales.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 82Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 150mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 4gSugar 10gProtein 2g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.