Linguine Squarcierella: this delicious linguine pasta recipe combines linguine, prosciutto, onion, garlic, eggs, black pepper and Parmesan cheese to make the best pasta ever!
Don’t ask me how to pronounce the name of this linguine pasta. I usually just try to say it really fast and then when people say “huh?” I say “it’s just this really amazing pasta.”
Why is Linguine Squarcieralla so amazing?
First, because it is delicious. It is rich, salty, cheesy, and incredibly filling.
The second reason is because it is the most versatile recipe ever.
The third reason is because it is linguine prosciutto pasta, delicious and versatile, making it one of the best pasta recipes ever!
How to Make Linguine Squarcierella
The basic method is:
Cook the pasta in boiling water.
Brown the prosciutto in a skillet.
Remove the prosciutto from the skillet.
Put the onion and garlic in the skillet, and let cook for a few minutes.
Chop up the prosciutto.
Drain the pasta after it is cooked and return it to the pan.
Add in a beaten egg.
Stir to cook the egg.
Add in the meat, onion, garlic, black pepper and Parmesan.
Over the years I’ve done with this bacon, pancetta, pepperoni, and even with (gasp!) ham lunch meat.
I’ve swapped the onion for peppers, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, and just about anything I’ve had lying around.
I’ve done all meat versions, all vegetable versions, and once even just the noodles, egg, and Parmesan.
For the cheese, I’ve used Parmigiano Reggiano, pre-shredded Parmesan, and even (double gasp!) the “grated” kind from the green can.
This recipe version is very basic and just includes pasta, prosciutto, onion, garlic, egg, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. But, I also have lots of experience with substitutions in this recipe.
Seriously, you guys… once you know the basic method of this best pasta dish it will become your go-to “What are we going to have for dinner tonight?” recipe.
You can lighten it up by using whole wheat pasta and egg beaters, or make it more decadent by adding a creamy cheese like Gruyere or Fontina. It’s really the most versatile pasta recipe of all time.
Okay, I know you’re just itching to get to the recipe, so here you go!
Here’s the Recipe!
Linguine Squarcierella Recipe (a.k.a. the best pasta ever)
- 4 oz prosciutto - Italian dry-aged ham
- 8 oz linguine noodles
- 1/2 yellow onion - chopped
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 2 eggs - beaten
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Place a skillet over medium-high heat and lay half of the prosciutto pieces in the pan so that as much of the meat as possible is touching the skillet. Lay the remaining half of the prosciutto on top of the first layer, perpendicular to the first layer of meat. Placing the meat in the pan in this criss-cross fashion helps keep the pieces from sticking together.
- Let the meat cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, until crisp and brown. Remove, and chop into bite-size pieces.
- Add the linguine noodles to the pot and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, add the chopped onion and garlic to the pan used to cook the prosciutto. If the pan seems a bit dry, you can add a bit of olive oil. Saute for 3 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
- Once cooked, drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Turn the heat down to the lowest setting. Add in the beaten eggs and use a wooden spoon to toss the noodles with the eggs. Continue for about a minute, until the eggs have turned opaque and look cooked.
- Add the garlic, onions, prosciutto, black pepper and Parmesan cheese, and toss to combine. Serve warm.
Please note that linguine pasta recipe is often misspelled as linguini pasta recipe.