Melitzanosalata, or Greek Eggplant Dip, is a simple yet tasty dish of roasted eggplant, garlic, oil, and lemon juice. It’s perfect spread on toasted bread, or as party of a larger Greek meze party!
Any eggplant (also called aubergine) lovers out there? Hands up!!
I have always liked eggplant and learned more ways to cook it when I took a cooking class while in Athens. We made Melitzanosalata, a Greek eggplant dip recipe.
It was tasty!
I knew it was time to share an eggplant recipe on the blog, so I went with my gut and decided on Melitzanosalata.
Well, here it is folks. If you can make guacamole, you can make melitzanosalata, a great Greek eggplant dish. Make it or leave it!
Be sure to check out my other Greek recipes for more inspiration!
Here’s the Recipe!
- 2 large eggplants
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves and olives for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the eggplants on a foil-lined baking sheet and prick a few times with a fork. Roast in the pre-heated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, turning every 15 minutes, until charred and soft.
- Allow the eggplant to rest until cool enough to handle. Peel the skin away from the flesh (if this proves difficult, simple slice the eggplant in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the meat). Roughly chop the flesh and place in a colander to drain for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the eggplant to a large bowl and gently mash with a fork. Add the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir well, taste, and add salt and pepper to taste. Chill for one hour; serve drizzled with olive oil and topped with whole olives and a sprinkling of parsley.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 247Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 0mgSodium 411mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 9gSugar 11gProtein 3g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.