Lentils, rice, veggies and LOTS of herbs and spices make this one-pot meal a dinnertime champion!
I adore one-pot meals.
Not only are they easy to make, but they are easy to clean-up after.
I’m a bit of a train wreck when I’m cooking. I try to clean as I go, but it is a rare occasion that I don’t leave the kitchen a mess by the time I’m finished.
Tonight, I kept the mess to a minimum because all of the delicious could be handled by one knife, one cutting board, and one pot. Plus, since it needed to simmer all by its lonesome for fifteen minutes, I had time to
drink wine get the kitchen in order before dinner.
This was just a warm bowl of hearty, vegetarian deliciousness. This lentils and rice recipe couldn’t be simpler: prep your ingredients, add them one by one, stir it up, and let it simmer.
You guys know all about my spice addiction, so you won’t be surprised to find out that this rice and lentils dish is seasoned with coriander, paprika, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon.
In addition to the spices, I also used some fresh ginger and garlic to really send the flavor profile over the top. To bulk up the dish I added potato, onion, and carrot. Basmati rice and brown lentils make the dish thick and filling.
I shared this one pot lentil dahl recipe on the blog nearly 4 years ago, but since then I’ve made lots of little changes and perfected it to my liking. It is definitely time to re-share the lentil rice recipe and update the photos! I hope you love it as much as I do!
Here’s the Recipe!
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger root
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium carrot, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 3/4 cup basmati rice
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Lime wedges for squeezing
- Warm naan or flatbread for serving
- Measure out the proper amounts of coriander, paprika, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon; place in a small bowl.
- Heat the oil in a 6-quart dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and ginger to the pot and saute until the onions become semi-translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic along with the pre-measured spices.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and salt to the pot and give it a good stir. Add the sugar and a tablespoon of water and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables develop a glaze-like spice coating as the sugar caramelizes in the pan (about 5 minutes)
- Add the lentils, rice, and 3 cups of water to the pot. Bring the contents to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 18-24 minutes, or until rice, lentils, and potatoes are cooked through and no excess liquid remains. Garnish with cilantro and serve with limes and warm naan or flatbread.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 269Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 868mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 5gSugar 9gProtein 7g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
Originally posted on June 26th, 2013. Updated photos and recipe for clarity on February 27th, 2017.
Old photo, just for fun!