This Pasta with Beets, Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese recipe mixes roasted vegetables, tangy goat cheese, peppery arugula, and nutty almonds to transform plain fettuccine noodles into a dinner you will crave!
For dinner, I’m having pasta with a side of pasta.
Before I left for the trip, I decided to do the responsible thing and gorge myself with carbs in preparation for my impending pasta belly problem.
One of the dishes I made over and over was this fresh pasta with sweet potato, beet, buttered mushrooms, arugula, and goat cheese.
Here’s how the flavors play out:
- Sweet potato – creamy and sweet
- Beet – earthy
- Mushrooms – umami
- Arugula – peppery
- Goat cheese – tangy
Pasta heaven, my friends.
You could absolutely make this with dried pasta, but I think once you start using fresh pasta you’ll likely never go back. You can make your own if you’re an overachiever, or you can buy packaged fresh pasta at the store (usually in the deli section).
Goat cheese is REALLY soft, so if you want to get those perfect circular slices off of a log, pop it in the freezer for a few minutes before slicing with a wire. Alternatively, you can just drop little dabs of cheese all over it and it will still taste incredible.
Alright, I’m officially leaving Rome and headed on a week-long adventure to Sicily, Malta, Barcelona, Marseilles, and Genoa. I promise to bring home more pasta recipes!
Here’s the Recipe!
Pasta with Beets, Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Recipe
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 1 cup cubed sweet potato
- 1 cup quartered beet slices
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 ounces quartered brown mushrooms - cremini / baby bella
- 9 ounces fresh fettuccine noodles
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour one tablespoon of olive oil into a large bowl. Add the sweet potato and toss well to coat. Season with salt and pepper, then arrange in a single layer on one half of the lined baking sheet. Add another tablespoon of oil to the bowl and repeat with the beets. Roast the sweet potato and beets in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, turning once, until tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the salted butter in a large saute pan set over medium heat. Add the quartered mushrooms and saute until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Prepare the fettuccine noodles according to package directions for al dente. Drain, then transfer to the large saute pan containing the mushrooms. Drizzle the two remaining tablespoons of olive oil over the top, then toss the noodles and mushrooms together. Transfer to a serving dish and top with the roasted sweet potatoes and beets, the arugula, and the goat cheese. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper. Serve hot.