Do you ever fight over leftovers in your house?
It’s really rare for me to be interested in leftovers at all, because I typically want something different for each and every meal.
However, I totally fought to take these Saucy Mexican Chicken Skillet leftovers to work.
I’m totally on a one-pan-dinner kick lately. I hate doing dishes, but I love to eat. What’s a girl to do??
Let me give you a few reasons why I love, love, love this dish:
- I only have to dirty up ONE PAN. Okay, I know I already mentioned that, but I feel like the importance cannot be understated. Plus I got to use the “Everyday Pan” which came with my new dish set– it’s super easy to clean which makes it even better in my book.
- It’s healthy! See that creamy sauce? Yep, made with non-fat Greek yogurt. Boo-yah.
- It’s done in under 30 minutes.
That’s pretty much the trifecta of requirements for awesome+delicious+easy weeknight dinner, right?
Confession: I have been putting cherry tomatoes on everything lately because they are gorgeous and make everything taste better. I also put some cotija cheese and cilantro on here to kick up the flavor.
Squeeze a bit of fresh lime on there to make your mouth extra happy.
The second night we had these leftovers, I cooked up some Mexican rice to go with it which was completely awesome. The rice soaked up the sauce and just made a big bowl full of deliciousness.
Yep, it happened. I was there.
Ready to cook up a weeknight miracle?
Here’s the recipe!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins
- 1 tsp. Goya all-purpose seasoning (or salt)
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 14 ounce cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup crumbled Cotija Cheese
- 1 lime, sliced
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high. Season chicken on both sides with Goya (or salt), pepper, and cumin. Once the oil is very hot, cook the chicken for about two minutes on each side until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add onions to skillet and cook one minute, adding a bit more oil if necessary. Add the minced garlic and cook another minute before adding the chicken broth and beans. Add the remaining salt, oregano, cumin, cayenne (if using), and black pepper. Stir well.
- Return chicken to pan. Cover and let cook 10 minutes over low heat.
- Check the chicken to ensure it is cooked through, then turn off the heat. Place the Greek yogurt in a small bowl and stir in one spoonful of the warm pan sauce. Continue adding warm pan sauce, one spoonful at a time, until the yogurt reaches a lukewarm temperature. Transfer the Greek yogurt mixture into the pan and stir well.
- Sprinkle the tomato halves, cilantro, and Cotija cheese over the top. Serve warm with lime wedges for squeezing.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 655Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 125mgSodium 1575mgCarbohydrates 53gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 64g
You'll Also Love:
Last Updated on