This Soba and Sweet Potato Noodle Bowl recipe is filled with hearty buckwheat noodles, vitamin-rich sweet potato, and fresh snow peas. Top this power bowl off with a spicy Korean sauce and lunch is served!
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; there’s just something awesome about food in a bowl.
You may have noticed that I have a bit of a thing for one-dish meals. I don’t usually like to prepare three or four dishes to fill out a plate.
I’d much rather make one big bowl of food and then sit cross-legged on my couch and stuff my face while watching Netflix.
Noodle bowls are absolutely perfect for my style of food. I mean, who doesn’t like noodles?
Now, I know lots of you want to walk away right now because you don’t have a spiralizer for the sweet potato. I use this KitchenAid attachment.
But if you’re looking for a stand-alone model I recommend this spiralizer.
I put off owning one for AGES because I thought it was just this annoying trendy thing, but now I use mine all the time.
If you’re not on the spiralizing bandwagon, you can make this by just dicing up the sweet potato instead.
But it won’t be as pretty. Sorry.
Funny story: when I was planning this recipe I intended to use cashews instead of peanuts.
As it turned out, the bag of what I thought were cashews in my pantry were macadamia nuts and that just didn’t seem right.
I used peanuts instead and really loved the way it added LOTS of crunch. I’ll leave the decision up to you, but either way I highly recommend toasting them prior to using.
Lo mein noodles would be great, and I have a feeling that ramen noodles or even yakisoba noodles would be tasty, too.
The sauce I used is similar to Bibimbap sauce – you’ll need gochujang to make it! I haven’t ever found a suitable substitute for the Korean hot pepper paste, so you’ll just have to find some gochujang to make it. Get some from Amazon here.
The sauce totally makes these sweet potato noodle bowls – you’re going to love them!
Here’s the Recipe!
For the Sauce
- 3 tablespoons gochujang
- 1 tablespoon honey (for the vegan version, use maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons miso paste
For the Bowls
- 1 cup dry-roasted, unsalted peanuts
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounces dried soba (buckwheat) noodles
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cups raw snow peas
- Optional Garnishes: chopped green onion, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes
- Whisk all of the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat a small pan over medium and add the peanuts (no oil is needed). Toast, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove the pan and set aside.
- Spiralize the sweet potato according to the manufacturer's instructions for your model of spiralizer. Heat the vegetable oil in a medium pan over medium. Add the sweet potato noodles and cook, stirring frequently, until browned and tender; about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the soba noodles according to package directions. Drain, toss with a tablespoon of sesame oil, then divide into four bowls for serving.
- Remove the cooked sweet potato noodles from the pan and add to the serving bowls.
- Immediately add the snow peas to the hot pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until browned. Transfer to the serving bowls.
- Top each bowl with the prepared sauce, toasted peanuts, and garnishes of choice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chung Jung One Sunchang Hot Pepper Paste Gold (Gochujang) 500g
Twin Pack Hime Dried Buckwheat Soba Noodles, 25.40 Ounce (Pack of 2)
Spiralizer 7-Blade Vegetable Slicer, Strongest-and-Heaviest Spiral Slicer, Best Veggie Pasta Spaghetti Maker for Keto/Paleo/Gluten-Free, Comes with 4 Recipe Ebooks
KitchenAid Spiralizer Plus Attachment with Peel, Core and Slice, Silver
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 501Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 0mgSodium 778mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 9gSugar 21gProtein 15g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.