This simple recipe for fresh Mango Chutney calls for lots of ripe mangoes, onion, garlic, and ginger root. Make a large batch and freeze the leftovers!
Mangoes are my very favorite fruit, so it’s easy to see why Mango Chutney is one of my very favorite condiments. This particular mango chutney recipe has a more savory flavor with a couple non-traditional ingredients combined with the sweetness of the mangoes and a touch of spice from the red pepper flakes. I love that this recipe is spiked with onion, garlic, and LOTS of fresh ginger root.
Mango Chutney is a very popular Indian condiment. This particular batch I made to accompany a big pan of one of my favorite Indian dishes, Chicken Biryani. But I love to use it alongside any Indian dish or even a charcuterie board!
How to make Mango Chutney
First, assemble your ingredients. For exact amounts see the recipe card below.
Next, stir together all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Set over medium heat and cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
Finally you can serve warm if preferred, or store in and airtight container in your fridge.
Tips for making Mango Chutney
Make sure you plan ahead and allow some time to buy some mangoes and let them get really ripe before making this recipe.
I prefer to use Champagne (aka Ataulfo) mangoes for this recipe (and I just prefer them and their taste in general), but you can use whichever kind you can find at your local grocery store.
Use this handy mango splitter to make your life easier!
Yes, this recipe can last up to 2 months in your freezer. In order to freeze appropriately be sure that the chutney has completely cooled before transferring it to a freezer-safe airtight container or even freezer bags. Then simply thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before using.
I would really advise against this. I would recommend waiting until your mangoes are really ripe which will in turn give you the best mango chutney.
More dips and sauces to love:
- Authentic Greek Tzatziki Sauce
- Sweet and Smoky Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Garlic Herb Butter
- Easy Chimichurri Sauce
- Easy Homemade Red Curry Paste
- No Fuss Blueberry and Cranberry Sauce
Super Simple Mango Chutney Recipe
- 3 cups diced mango
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons finely minced garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons finely minced ginger root
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Set it over medium-low heat and cook, covered, for 30 minutes. Store in a sealed container.
- Pour the Mango Chutney into clean, hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace at the top. Close the jars with their lids, making sure not to over-tighten them. You can also serve warm if preferred.
There are other mango chutney recipes out there, but this one is simple and delicious! Enjoy!