This delicious, Thai Tom Yum Soup with Shrimp recipe is a family favorite made with shrimp, chicken broth, fragrant lemongrass, tomatoes, mushrooms and chilis and is ready in less than 30 minutes!
Hello, and welcome to week three of the Travel Month Series!
This week is all about Thailand. Today, I’m sharing my recipe for delicious Thai Tom Yum Soup with Shrimp. Later this week I’ll tell you about everything you need to know before a trip to Thailand, and then I’m posting a list of essential kitchen tools for cooking Thai food at home.
Busy week, right?
This is one of my favorite things to eat when I have a cold or am feeling under the weather. The broth is soothing, fragrant, and has just the right amount of spice to clear up your sinuses.
You can adjust this Tom Yum Soup recipe to make it more or less spicy, according to your taste, by altering the amount of chili-garlic sauce you stir in at the end. Chili-garlic sauce can be found in most large supermarkets and import stores, or you can purchase it online by clicking here.
This was also the very first Thai dish I ever cooked for the husband. He came over for dinner when I was still living with my mom and dad (awesome, I know), so I made a Thai dinner for the four of us!
Here are a few notes about the tom yum soup ingredients.
You can find galangal root in the produce or frozen session at an import food market, or you can substitute ginger root if needed.
The wild lime leaves (also found in produce section of an import market) really add a special flavor, but if you can’t get your hands on any don’t keep that from making this tom yum recipe. It will still be delicious even without the lime leaves!
This simple yet satisfying soup comes together in just 30 minutes, so it’s perfect for busy nights or lazy afternoons.
Ready to learn how to make tom yum soup?
Thai Tom Yum Soup with Shrimp Recipe
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1 inch peeled galangal root - sliced into discs (or substitute ginger root)
- 4 wild lime leaves (Kaffir lime leaves) - optional
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes - halved
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms - washed and quartered
- 1/2 pound de-veined shrimp
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1 lime - juiced
- 2 Bird’s Eye chilies - stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 4 Tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- Bring the chicken broth, along with two cups of water, to a boil in a deep pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the lemongrass, galangal (or ginger) root, and lime leaves (if using). Reduce heat to medium-low, add the tomatoes and mushrooms, then simmer for three minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the lime juice, minced chilies, and cilantro leaves in the bottom of a large serving bowl.
- Add the shrimp to the pot and cook until they are pink and opaque, about one minute. Stir in the fish sauce and chili-garlic sauce.
- Transfer the soup to the serving bowl, and enjoy.