Creamy coconut milk and tender poached chicken make this Thai style Tom Kha Gai hearty and satisfying!
NO WAY. It’s a Thai food recipe! Shocking, right?
We just don’t have enough Thai recipes up on this website.
Out of sheer curiosity, I just checked my category/tag counts to see how many Thai recipes I’ve posted over the past (almost) two years and it looks like this post makes Thai recipe #42.
It’s kind of a problem.
I suppose there are worse addictions.
Like…. Taco Bell.
Oddly, I’ve been thinking about Taco Bell a lot lately… mostly because I gave up fast food two and a half years ago and I miss Taco Bell seriously soooo much. I basically lived off of grilled stuft burritos before I learned how to cook and sometimes I just feel like I need one. Like neeeeeeed need.
And now that you know how much of a complete weirdo I am, let me tell you why you should heed my advice and make this recipe:
- It’s SO quick. Even if you really take your time with the prep work, you can still make this is under a half hour.
- It kills those Thai-food-takeout-cravings. This is important.
- Because I said so. Isn’t that enough?
Here’s the Thai Tom Kha Gai Recipe!
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger root
- 4 wild lime leaves (optional)
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 Thai bird's eye chili, sliced
- 4 lime wedges
- Cilantro for garnish
- Combine the coconut milk and chicken broth in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Allow the liquid to come to a boil, then stir in the lemongrass, ginger, and lime leaves (if using). Add the chicken and mushrooms and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through).
- Remove the lemongrass and lime leaves. Stir in the fish sauce, scallions, and chilies. Pour into a large serving bowl and serve hot with plenty of cilantro and lime wedges for the table.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 430 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 7g Cholesterol 122mg Sodium 1093mg Carbohydrates 28g Fiber 4g Sugar 4g Protein 49g