Vegan Brazilian Bowls are loaded with creamy coconut rice, black beans, mango, avocado, and cashews. My favorite flavors from Brazil!
Have I ever told you that I’m a bit of a sun-worshiper?
I love warm weather, so the transition from summer to fall is always a bit difficult for me.
Sometimes I fantasize about leaving Portland behind for somewhere with year-round sun, but then springtime arrives and everything is so fresh and green and beautiful that I realize I could never *really* leave.
In order to stave off the winter blues, I keep tropical plants in my sunroom (and drink mojitos in there in January).
I also make sure that I have plenty of vacation-worthy meals in my weekly meal plan.
Just like my Vegan Cuban Bowls, these Vegan Brazilian Bowls are like a little tropical paradise in a bowl!
It all starts out with some super creamy coconut rice.
To make the rice, I use two-thirds of a cup of coconut milk plus plenty of shredded coconut for added sweetness and texture.
Now, if you’re anything like me, you likely HATE opening a can of something and not using it all.
I used to have this problem all the time with coconut milk, especially with curry recipes. I usually try to avoid doing that to you guys, like in my Quick Fall Vegetable Curry!
I recently discovered these adorable little baby cans of coconut milk:
I buy these at my local Winco and Fred Meyer (Kroger for some). I have a whole shelf dedicated to them in my pantry!
The cans hold 2/3 of a cup of coconut milk, so they work perfectly for making this coconut rice.
Once you’ve got the rice taken care of, it’s just a matter of simmering some beans with a few spices, cutting up some produce, and throwing it all into a bowl.
I actually made a big batch of coconut rice and beans to take on our family camping trip this summer so we could eat these Vegan Brazilian Bowls out in the middle of nowhere. They were a total hit; quick, easy, and totally tasty!
If you have a hard time finding mango (dang you, winter!), pineapple is also super tasty. You can almost always find some pre-cut stuff in the produce section.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 2/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 2 small mangoes, pitted, peeled and diced
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges for serving
- Place the coconut milk, rice, and salt in a large saucepan along with 1 1/2 cups water. Set the pot over medium heat and allow to cook until the liquid drops below the level of the rice. Stir the pot, cover, and turn the heat down to low. Allow to cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, stir in the shredded coconut and re-cover. Allow to rest until ready to serve.
- Place the black beans in a small pot along with the cumin and coriander. Heat over medium, stirring frequently, until warmed through.
- Divide the cooked rice, warmed beans, mango, avocado, onion, and cashews into four shallow bowls. Top each with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 662 Total Fat 34g Saturated Fat 13g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 19g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 406mg Carbohydrates 84g Fiber 19g Sugar 28g Protein 17g
You'll Also Love:
Last Updated on