Vegan Pita Sandwiches: made with zaatar roasted cauliflower, Jerusalem salad, and an easy tahini sauce. The perfect vegan lunch!
After a long weekend, I could hardly wait to get back in the kitchen to make a batch of Zaatar Roasted Cauliflower, and put together these Vegan Pita Sandwiches.
You may be asking, “Is pita bread vegan?”
In most cases it is vegan because it made from flour, water, yeast and salt.
However, some bakeries add other ingredients such as milk, eggs or honey for flavor, so to be sure look at the ingredients list and make sure there are no animal-derived ingredients before you buy it.
Here’s the low-down on these babies:
>>> Warm Pita Bread + These Vegan Pita Fillings: Zaatar Roasted Caulifower, Jerusalem Salad, Easy Tahini Sauce, Walnuts <<<
This is the kind of meal you can feel good about.
These vegan pita sandwiches are filling enough to satisfy a meat-eating man who worked on his feet all day, so I’m calling that a win.
I highly recommend using this tahini sauce on just about everything. I love making little vegan bowls filled with ancient grains, chickpeas, and veggies, then topping it with creamy tahini sauce.
I make a big batch of it and keep it in a squeeze bottle in my fridge. It’s also excellent as a salad dressing!
I added walnuts to this sandwich to give it a nice crunchy texture, but pecans would also be totally delicious.
Alright, enough jabbering for today. Time to go finish cleaning out the coolers!
Here’s the Recipe!
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon agave
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 pitas, warmed and sliced in half*
- 1 1/2 cups zaatar roasted cauliflower, warmed
- 1 cup Jerusalem salad
- 4 tablespoons chopped walnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, honey, and lemon juice. Add enough hot water to thin it to a spreadable consistency. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Spread a quarter of the tahini sauce into the pocket of each of the four pita halves. Stuff each pita with one quarter of the cauliflower and Jerusalem salad.
- Garnish each sandwich with a tablespoon of chopped walnuts. Serve immediately.
*You can also use 4 flat breads, as I did in the pictures.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221|Total Fat: 12g|Saturated Fat: 1g|Trans Fat: 0g|Unsaturated Fat: 10g|Cholesterol: 0mg|Sodium: 445mg|Carbohydrates: 25g|Fiber: 3g|Sugar: 4g|Protein: 7g|
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
August 16, 2016 | Last Updated on January 16, 2021 by Linda