Do you ever fight over leftovers in your house?
It’s really rare for me to be interested in leftovers at all, because I typically want something different for each and every meal.
However, the husband and I totally fought over who got to take these Saucy Mexican Chicken Skillet leftovers to work.
I’m totally on a one-pan-dinner kick lately. I hate doing dishes, but I love to eat. What’s a girl to do??
Let me give you a few reasons why I love, love, love this dish:
- I only have to dirty up ONE PAN. Okay, I know I already mentioned that, but I feel like the importance cannot be understated.
- It’s healthy! See that cream sauce? Yep, made with non-fat Greek yogurt. Boo-yah.
- It’s done in under 30 minutes.
That’s pretty much the trifecta of requirements for awesome+delicious+easy weeknight dinner, right?
Confession: I have been putting cherry tomatoes on everything lately because they are gorgeous and make everything taste better. I also put some cotija cheese and cilantro on here to kick up the flavor.
Squeeze a bit of fresh lime on there to make your mouth extra happy.
The second night we had these leftovers, the husband cooked up some Mexican rice to go with it which was completely awesome. The rice soaked up the sauce and just made a big bowl full of deliciousness.
We should probably take a moment to stop and think about how I just said that the HUSBAND COOKED.
Yep, it happened. I was there.
Ready to cook up a weeknight miracle?
Here’s your recipe!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins
- 1 tsp. Goya all-purpose seasoning (or salt)
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup crumbled Cotija Cheese
- 1 lime, sliced
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high. Season chicken on both sides with Goya (or salt), pepper, and cumin. Once the oil is very hot, cook the chicken for about two minutes on each side until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add onions to skillet and cook one minute, adding a bit more oil if necessary. Add the minced garlic and cook another minute before adding the chicken broth and beans. Add the remaining salt, oregano, cumin, cayenne (if using), and black pepper. Stir well.
- Return chicken to pan. Cover and let cook 10 minutes over low heat.
- Check the chicken to ensure it is cooked through, then turn off the heat. Place the Greek yogurt in a small bowl and stir in one spoonful of the warm pan sauce. Continue adding warm pan sauce, one spoonful at a time, until the yogurt reaches a lukewarm temperature. Transfer the sour cream mixture into the pan and stir well.
- Sprinkle the tomato halves, cilantro, and Cotija cheese over the top. Serve warm with lime wedges for squeezing.