Here’s my easy 3-step method to making perfect hot buttered rum mix!
Nothing says “winter is coming” quite like cozying up with a steaming mug of hot buttered rum. This concoction of butter, ice cream, sugar and rum is simultaneously warming, filling, and perfectly spiced.
To make Hot Buttered Rum you just need two things: Rum and Hot Buttered Rum Mix.
I always thought that making hot buttered rum batter would be time consuming and tedious. A few years back my mom and I decided to make a bunch of homemade coffee infused liqueur (faux-Kahlua) and I felt like it took alllll daaaayyyy.
I guess I just had it in my head that homemade cocktail shenanigans were super laborious!
Then, last winter, we were having lunch in this British pub in town where they were serving a Hot Buttered Rum Bread Pudding a their dessert special. You know I had to order it! I’ve been waiting almost a year for the weather to get cold so I could recreate that fateful dessert.
I’ll be sharing my bread pudding recipe with you in just a few days, so you’re going to want to make this mixture soon so you can be prepared for it.
Plus, you really can’t beat an old fashioned hot buttered rum, so I’ll forgive you if you want to skip the whole dessert thing and just go straight for the booze.
Alright, without further adieu, let me tell you exactly how easy it is to make hot buttered rum mix!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
Here’s Your Recipe!
The Wanderlust Kitchen
35 minPrep Time
35 minTotal Time
3 based on 1 review(s)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 pound powdered (confectioner's) sugar
- 1 pound light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- Place the butter and ice cream on your kitchen counter and let it sit for 30 minutes until softened.
- Unwrap the butter sticks and put the in a large mixing bowl. Pour the sugars on top, then cream together with a hand mixer until well blended. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and ice cream. Mix well.
- Transfer to freezer safe mason jars or ice cube trays* and freeze.
- In a medium mug, combine 2 tablespoons of mix with 8 ounces boiling water. Add in 1 1/2 ounce rum. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
*Ice Cube trays are super handy for portioning out 1 serving of mix at a time. If you want to use this method, place the filled ice cube trays in the freezer; once frozen, pop the out and store in a freezer zipper bag.
If you like this post, please share it with your friends!