An “All-American” take on classic beans and greens using fresh collard greens and tender Great Northern beans.
I know this is way outside the norm here, but today I’m not sharing an international recipe. Weird, right?
I suppose “beans and greens” is traditionally a Tuscan recipe (using Tuscan Kale and Cannellini Beans), but I thought it would be fun to use Collard Greens and Great Northern Beans instead!
This would be the perfect side dish for Easter dinner or an early spring luncheon.
It’s also great served up with a simple pork chop or chicken breast. Sometimes I like to pour hot sauce on mine and serve it with some traditional Southern food!
Be advised, collard greens do need to be cooked a bit longer than kale, but happily most of the work is done for you! All they need is a little moisture, a covered pot, and a bit of time. Voila!
Your cast iron skillet is ideal for this job, so go ahead and lug it out onto your stove top.
I’m keeping it real simple on the blog today because I’m losing my sanity with this remodel and can hardly form a sentence, let alone a compelling story about greens and beans. If you’re interested, you can read all about the home remodel saga right here.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound collard greens, tough stems removed
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 (14 ounce) can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the collard greens and saute for 5 minutes.
- Carefully pour 1 cup of water into the pan along with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Cover the pan and let cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the beans to the pan. Toss well, then season with salt and red pepper flakes. Serve warm.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 123Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 520mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 6gSugar 0gProtein 6g
If you like this recipe, please share it with your friends!
You'll Also Love:
Last Updated on