Fresh green beans are oven-roasted with olive oil, lemon, garlic, and capers. Fancy enough for a holiday meal, easy enough for a weeknight side dish!
Today’s post might be a little controversial.
Why? Because I’m going to share something with you and ask that you be honest with me.
Here goes nothing:
I think tender-crisp green bean are gross.
Yep. Putting that out there.
I know that so many people take the time to blanch their green beans, plunge them into an ice bath, and praise their glorious bright green color…. but, I’m just not one of those people.
I like my green beans soft.
Here’s how I make them:
- First, I trim the green beans. I only cut off the end that was attached to the bean stalk.
- Then, I throw them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil.
- Next, the beans are topped with fresh lemon zest and juice.
- Minced garlic and pickled capers are also invited to this party.
- Lastly, salt and pepper. Because…. salt and pepper.
- I use my hands to massage all of that crap together on the pan, then throw it into a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes until they are tender and slightly browned.
These green beans are a staple on my Thanksgiving table, but I also make them on a near-weekly basis throughout the rest of the year. The recipe is so easy, and green beans are almost always available at the grocery store.
What do you guys think? How do you like your green beans?
Here’s Your Recipe!
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scatter the green beans on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Top with oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, capers, salt, and pepper. Use your hands, or kitchen tongs, to massage the ingredients together and coat the beans with oil.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, shaking the pan once halfway through, until the beans are tender and lightly browned.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
Amount Per ServingCalories 103 Total Fat 7g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 241mg Carbohydrates 10g Fiber 3g Sugar 4g Protein 2g