Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and richly spiced with Indian flavors — this Bombay Potatoes recipe is the perfect side dish for any Indian meal!
Guys, we’re nearing the end of this crazy spree of Indian recipes!
I really love to create themed dinners, whether it’s for a dinner party or just for our family. Easy Indian sides dishes come in really handy with these meals, especially when they are as delicious as these Bombay potatoes.
Bombay potatoes are sometimes called Bombay aloo, aloo Bombay or alu Bombay, as aloo means potato and alu means edible root in the Hindi language.
While these Bombay potatoes are usually served as a side dish, they can also be a main course.
Follow along and learn how to make Bombay potatoes!
These little beauties are super fluffy with a crispy outer crust– just how roasted potatoes should be.
Many Bombay potato recipes call for boiling the potatoes and then frying them. This Bombay potato recipe roasts them for a healthier Indian potato dish.
They get a quick boil in some water seasoned with turmeric before they go in the oven, which is what gives them such a bright color.
I like them just as they are, but they are also great with both regular and sriracha-spiked ketchup. Blasphemous, I know.
Quality spices are my secret kitchen weapon, and this Indian potato recipe uses a few that you might have in your pantry, and a few that you might want to acquire.
First, there’s the turmeric. You can find this stuff in just about any supermarket. Fair warning: turmeric stains like crazy so make sure you’re careful with it.
Second, a good curry powder mixture. I like this curry powder which you can snag on Amazon.
The same brand makes my favorite garam masala (spice number 3!).
Finally, you’ll need black mustard seed. This adds a lovely peppery flavor to the potatoes (and makes them look all fancy). I have a huge jar sitting around at my house. Truth be told, I can’t remember where I got them, but Amazon has a variety of options. Here is an organic one.
How to Make Bombay Potatoes
Here is the process to make these delicious Bombay Potatoes and it is really easy!
First, assemble the 8 ingredients.
Next, peel the potatoes and cut them up into bite-sized pieces. Place the potatoes in a large pot along with 1 teaspoon of the salt, turmeric, and enough water to cover by one inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain the potatoes from the water and transfer to a large bowl.
Add the oil, mustard seed, curry powder, garam masala, and remaining salt to the bowl and toss with potatoes.
Transfer the potatoes to a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and roast in the pre-heated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, flipping the potatoes once half-way through.
Serve hot in a serving dish of your choice and optionally garnish with parsley leaves.
Just look at that beautiful texture and color!
And, that is how you make Bombay Potatoes!
Save this to Pinterest and Share with Your Friends:
Here’s the Recipe!
- 6 medium waxy potatoes (I used new potatoes), peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon of parsley leaves for optional garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the potatoes in a large pot along with 1 teaspoon of the salt, turmeric, and enough water to cover by one inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain the potatoes from the water and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the oil, mustard seed, curry powder, garam masala, and remaining salt to the bowl and toss with potatoes. Transfer the potatoes to a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and roast in the pre-heated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, flipping the potatoes once half-way through. Remove from oven once the potatoes are fork-tender. Serve hot.
- Optionally garnish with parsley leaves
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 171Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 0mgSodium 410mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 4g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.