Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and richly spiced with Indian flavors — Bombay Potatoes are the perfect side dish for any Indian meal!
Guys, we’re nearing the end of this crazy spree of Indian recipes!
I really love to create themed dinners, whether it’s for a dinner party or just for the boyfriend and me. Easy sides dishes come in really handy with these meals, especially when they are as delicious as these Bombay potatoes.
These little beauties are super fluffy with a crispy outer crust– just how roasted potatoes should be.
They get a quick boil in some water seasoned with turmeric before they go in the oven, which is what gives them such a bright color.
I like them just as they are, but they are also great with both regular and sriracha-spiked ketchup. Blasphemous, I know.
Quality spices are my secret kitchen weapon, and this Indian potato recipe uses a few that you might have in your pantry, and a few that you might want to acquire.
First, there’s the turmeric. You can find this stuff in just about any supermarket. Fair warning: turmeric stains like crazy so make sure you’re careful with it.
Second, a good curry powder mixture. I like this one below which you can snag on Amazon.
The same brand makes my favorite garam masala (spice number 3!).
Finally, you’ll need black mustard seed. This adds a lovely peppery flavor to the potatoes (and makes them look all fancy). I have a huge jar sitting around at my house. Truth be told, I can’t remember where I got them, but Amazon has a variety of options. Here is an organic one.
Well, that’s about all you need to know!
I’d love for you to keep in touch! You can enter your email address right here to get new recipes sent to you once per week. Join me on Facebook and Pinterest, or find me on Snapchat (@WanderlustKitch)!!
Here’s Your Recipe!
- 6 medium waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the potatoes in a large pot along with 1 teaspoon of the salt, turmeric, and enough water to cover by one inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain the potatoes from the water and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the oil, mustard seed, curry powder, garam masala, and remaining salt to the bowl and toss with potatoes. Transfer the potatoes to a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and roast in the pre-heated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, flipping the potatoes once half-way through. Remove from oven once the potatoes are fork-tender. Serve hot.
- Simply Organic Garam Masala, 3 Ounce
- Jiva USDA Organic Mustard Seeds Black 7 Ounce - Nearly 1/2 Pound
- Simply Organic Curry Powder Certified Organic, 3-Ounce Bottle
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 93 Total Fat 11g Carbohydrates 1g