This healthy Chicken Tikka Masala recipe is easy to make in a slow cooker, tastes wonderful and with low calories, you will feel good about devouring it!
Chicken Tikka Masala is one of those amazing dishes that tastes different at every restaurant you order it. I’ve yet to meet a version I didn’t like, although some I’ve enjoyed more than others.
I have an awesome tendency to stuff myself whenever we go out for Indian food because I have to try a bite of absolutely everything I can get my hands on (and especially the Mulligatawny Soup!).
Because I like to stuff my face to the point that I feel more like Jabba the Hutt than a reasonably sized (albeit, tall) woman, I thought I might try my hand at lightening up this Indian buffet classic for a healthy tikka masala.
And guess what, guys – it totally works!
Annnnnnd just in case you had any qualms about trying this healthy chicken tikka masala recipe, let me just point out to you that it’s made in a slow cooker. With no pre-marinating, pre-searing, pre-anything. Just dump it in and turn it on.
So, some notes about the ingredients and instructions:
- Yes, you absolutely must find yourself some garam masala. I buy mine on Amazon, but you can usually find it on the spice aisle of a well-stocked grocery store.
- You’ll want to use a good-sized slow cooker; anything smaller than 3 quarts probably won’t work out. I used my awesome handy-dandy self-stirring Crockpot and it came out quite tasty.
- Please, please, please follow the recipe and don’t add the yogurt in until you’ve let the slow-cooker contents cool. And please be sure to temper the yogurt by stirring in some of the warm Tikka Masala sauce as directed. Using non-fat yogurt is awesome for your waistline, but low-fat dairy products have a tendency to curdle and get generally ticked off if you introduce them to high temperatures.
This was really, really yummy and I’m really, really happy to share the recipe with you.
It’s a really simple and delicious dinner served over some basmati rice (check out this post to see how I make my basmati rice fluffy and delicious —> How to Cook Perfect Rice) or with some homemade warm Naan Bread.
I know you are going to love this low calorie Chicken Tikka Masala recipe that you can feel good about!
Here’s the Recipe!
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom
- 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 oz. fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- Salt to taste
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine the ginger, garlic , tomatoes, coconut milk, spices, and chicken in your slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours. Uncover and let cool ten minutes.
- Stir together the yogurt and cornstarch in a small bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes to activate the thickeners. Stir few spoonfuls of the warm Tikka Masala sauce into the yogurt to bring the temperature up and prevent curdling. Pour the yogurt mixture into the slow cooker, stir, then let thicken for 15 minutes. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Serve over basmati rice with a sprinkling of cilantro leaves.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 178Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 65mgSodium 260mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 27g
Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
January 29, 2014 | Last Updated on January 15, 2021 by Linda